Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Slow at starting up & apps slow to launch, OTL log enclose

• Please log in to reply

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, that didn't help...

YOU have Avast as your resident AV

Well, I'm trying out all the top AV's and seeing which one works best for this computer and ESET Smart Security seems to be better at starting up before all my start up's load... I only have one and that's the internet.

If you have that set to scan at startup, which I do not think you can with the free edition, then open MBAM and set so that it does NOT scan at startup - that may well be the cuase of the porblem if you do have MBAM set for scan at startup

Ok, I have it so it doesn't load at startup.

You also have ERUNT set for backup of registry on each startup

I also have that so it doesn't load at startup.

What security programs do you suggest?
What is the difference between a on demand and a resident scanner?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Malwarebytes FREE edition provides NO REAL TIME protection

It is simply a scan on your demand

Your AVAST is your resident AV and provides your real time protection.

Please send me this
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pCPitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.
I recommend you leave me to look first, but of course that is your decision - you may feel able to accept some of the suggestions yourself

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY other tests on offer

and please DO RUN the Memtest

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Mac,

Here's the pcpitstop test: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24882474 and the Memtest didn't show any errors. Maybe you can see something on the pcpitstop that will show something.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Hi

I am working tomorrow early start - so early finish. tonight

Will post sometime around 1800 hrs Saturday

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. You installed windows on 27 March 2012 - was this problem please the reason for the reinstall OR what was the problem that instigated the reinstall.

2. On 11 April you installed MZ XP Tweak - was this in an attempt please to solve the problem OR with the benefit of hindsight was this when the problem began.

3. When I looked at one of your screenshots you had AVAST, now you do not have Avast but you have ESET
May I ask that you consider not making any more changes to the computer whilst I am working with you, except what I suggest and of course you accept to try, as the decision must always be yours, whether or not to accept my recommendations

4. You also have installed a Image Optimizer program I see it can be used to both optimize and compress images. Is there any chance you have used it to compress the desktop wallpaper, if so would you uncompress or unoptimise it and see if that takes us anywhere.

5. When you go msconfig, on the first screen you must be running selective startup, configured possibly via that MZ XP Tweak, would you AFTER trying the image suggestion, if that does not work, please undo the changes in MZ XP tweak and see if that helps.
I presume you will then be running normal startup.

I notice that the MZ Tweak also tweaks the services.
All of these programs of this nature are really best left off the computer, they frequently tweak to achieve as this one suggests

Description:
Through a friendly interface and equipped with the most powerful tweaks, Mz XP Tweak will try to stop crashes and gain your computer reactivity.

Here are some key features:

• Boosts PC performance
  • Speed up games
  • Tweak and personalize Windows
  • Increase system security
  • Smart memory & processor management
  • Increase network performance and download speeds
  • Optimize & backup your registry
  • Remove unused and temporary files from your system
  • Configure Windows startup and services
  • Manage power plans for laptops/netbooks
  • Schedule shutdowns
  • Much more....
which to be perfectly honest is largely either risky to the health of the computer or in the case of the items I have underlined, may indeed be responsible for this behaviour

6. If after exploring the above.we still have a problem, would you please do this and see if the problem still exists.
Use please the manual procedure ONLY as far as and including step 3.
Please do not proceed to step 4 as you will delete all your restore points

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Mac,

1. You installed windows on 27 March 2012 - was this problem please the reason for the reinstall OR what was the problem that instigated the reinstall.

Nope, the problem didn't appear when I was installing windows. And from what I remember, I didn't see anything else that could cause the slow desktop. It started getting worse as time went by...

2. On 11 April you installed MZ XP Tweak - was this in an attempt please to solve the problem OR with the benefit of hindsight was this when the problem began.

Yes, I installed it to see if it would fix the problem but it didn’t... Before though, I researched it a lot, well I researched WHY the computer was taken so long to get to the desktop and taking so long for my start-up to “start-up”. But I reverted my changes to MZ XP Tweak. After I reverted my settings, and I restarted, the computer froze a lot more.

3. When I looked at one of your screenshots you had AVAST, now you do not have Avast but you have ESET
May I ask that you consider not making any more changes to the computer whilst I am working with you, except what I suggest and of course you accept to try, as the decision must always be yours, whether or not to accept my recommendations

Yea, sorry about that... But I was trying different antiviruses and ESET seemed to start before any of the other antiviruses, in fact, it was the first to start-up. May I ask, do you recommend, Comodo Internet Security? If not, what antivirus and firewall do you recommend? And what security do you recommend?

4. You also have installed a Image Optimizer program I see it can be used to both optimize and compress images. Is there any chance you have used it to compress the desktop wallpaper, if so would you uncompress or unoptimise it and see if that takes us anywhere.

I have a digital camera and use that program to optimize my pictures. That program only does pictures and not desktop the wallpaper. I don’t know if it can compress images or not.

5. When you go msconfig, on the first screen you must be running selective start-up, configured possibly via that MZ XP Tweak, would you AFTER trying the image suggestion, if that does not work, please undo the changes in MZ XP tweak and see if that helps.
I presume you will then be running normal start-up.

I looked at the msconfig before I reverted my MZ XP Tweak... And it did have the selective start-up configured. What the best start-up in msconfig; selective or normal? And if selective, what would you have me to chose?

Ill do number 6 later on today. Cause I’m tired, it’s about 3am CST... lol

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Try going msconfig and click to check normal startup
Then click Apply and OK

Then reboot and see what happens. If it is no good leave it in normal boot and then proceed to 2.

2. Try the clean boot if the above is no good.

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, I'll proceed with the clean boot cause that didn't help... Just to tell you, and I didn't know it until just a few minutes ago before posting this but after I restored the setting that I made with MZ XP Tweak, ESET didn't work so I tried to just install ESET again but I couldn't activate it, so I uninstalled ESET and installed Avast...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Rhineus

Just wondered how you progressed with this.

It is now 10 days since we heard from you

Please do let us know