Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SSD hard drives

• Please log in to reply

atmywitsend

atmywitsend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi,in answer to your questions,
1 i will have internet access
2 my browser is IE9
3 My firewall is Kaspersky
4 my email is hotmail
5 i have one last question, once i have installed v2 of the firmware update can i install v6 & v7 before i go back into the bios and change the sata mode back to AHCI ?
i have also checked that i have downloaded the correct versions of firmware (for 2.5 in drive)
and i am now going to do a full back up of my system to a external hard drive and will start my update on Monday 16th April.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts

i have one last question, once i have installed v2 of the firmware update can i install v6 & v7 before i go back into the bios and change the sata mode back to AHCI ?

Yes, It is recommended to stay in IDE mode for all 3 firmware updates.I see you have s sound card installed. I think this would be better removed and then re installed after you have the computer up and running again.Your Mobo, download page, user manual. http://www.asus.com/...7P55D/#downloadWhen you are ready to upgrade, please perform the following. Ensure you have created a window7 recovery disc.Unplug from the mains, > Remove the side of the case, > Take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare unpainted part of the PC case. > Check that the Optical drive is connected to SATA E1. > The SSD connected to SATA A1, > the 500GB HDD to SATA A2. > Disconnect the 750GB HDD.Restart the computer to check it will boot, > shut down, > Insert the first Firmware update disc in the optical drive and restart, (this to check that the PC will boot from the CD ROM.) > restart and enter BOIS. > change to IDE mode. > restart the PC.Follow the instruction to perform the 3 Firmware updates and shut down.Follow the instructions and perform the secure erase of the SSD. > shut down, > take anti static measures, connect the 750GB HDD to SATA A3, > restart the PC and enter BIOS, > set SATA back to AHCI mode. > Check that all drives are recognized, > shut down.Follow instructions to Install the OS.Install drivers from the Mobo CD, if you select manual install you can prevent the bloat-ware from being installed.Boot to window, > create a manual restore point, > Create an image of the C drive and save in a new, clearly marked folder on you backup drive. > create a Point, > Install your Browser. > create a restore Point, create a folder on the desktop to hold any downloads, > Create a Restore Point, > update the BIOS and drivers, (I only update drivers from the Manufacturers site) Optional, I create a manual restore point before every update. > restart.you should now be in window if is running OK, create a second image of the C drive and save to backup drive.See next post.

Edited by iammykyl, 15 April 2012 - 04:23 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts
Using the guide below, partition the 500GB HDD, In the unallocated space, create partition size, 100MB, Drive letter X, Label, Programs. Then create a partition in the remaining unallocated space, Drive letter Y, Label, DATA.
Remember the restore points. http://windows.micro...-disk-partition

Using the guide below. Move the My Docs folder to the DATA partition.
http://helpdeskgeek....r-in-windows-7/
Test that this works by creating a folder on the Desktop Name, Test, then move it to my docs. If it is in My Docs, delete it.

Create an image of the C drive, Save to a new folder, OS images, in My Docs.

Unplug computer, take anti static measures. Follow you user manual and install your sound card, install software to the C drive. Close up the Computer.
Create an image, save to my docs.

Create a restore point, Install firewall and ant virus to the C drive.
Create an image, save to my docs.

Just for a few days, do not install any other software,

Have a look through this topic, http://www.overclock...e-for-ssds-hdds

AS you can see, there is more you can do, some very involved. WE can optimize your games, Have a look through options IE9, (I have not used) see if there is an option to always prompt for a download location.