Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 monitors working?

• Please log in to reply

weldon49

weldon49

• Pip
  • 6 posts
for everyone who controls this website, i first asked this in a windows 7 forum because i thought it was appropriate since windows seven operates everything i wana do. i was then told to repost in another forum for better answer, so i did and then someone locked my topic and ignorantly told me not to repost. (Ztruker kindly helped me by guiding me to the right forum to repost in then phillpower2 is the one who locked my topic in punishment for doing what i was kindly asked to do). so i am posting here in response to the topic that was locked. As you all know i am trying to figure out if my rig will work, no one gave me assistance with any value yet. I will b VERY clear, i have a Samsung RV510 with a pentium dual core t4500 cpu @ 2.3 Ghz. i have 4 gigs Ram and i have an intel GMA4500m graphics card. My current state is my laptop is side by side with an Acer x163w monitor connected by my only VGA port. i plugged it in and it set up by itself and worked fine. Now here is my question, i wana attach a third monitor (which mean another acer on the left, my laptop screen in the center, and the acer monitor on the right). but here is my problem. as mentioned before i only have one vga port, so i was gonna use this --------------> http://www.amazon.co...&hvptwo=&hvqmt= <----------------- the link works, i just tested it. but for the sake finding this answer ill say what it is too. its a startech USB to VGA External video card. you plug the usb side in to your laptop and then the other side has a female VGA port that the monitor plugs into. so if i were to buy the external video card and another monitor and plug it in how would it react? can windows seven just conprehend i have 3 monitors in and work fine or will i have to do somthing special to make it work? And just outof curiosity how much better or worse will it b than my GMA4500M, it does not say specs or anything about the graphics card nor can i find it anywhere else. i would appreciate it if i could get an answer without my topic being locked from another unhelpful tech member.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

There appears to be no reviews for the product from "professional" sources.
Unless a member has this card, The information available to them is exacter the same as you have.

I could not give you a yes or no to how well it would perform only advise reading as many user reviews as possible, look for similar issues, if any.
Some I have noted.

Enclosed drivers on the CD do not appear to support Window 7, you need to go to the site and download them.
If you laptop is off for an extended period of time, you may have drag the display back to the 3rd monitor.
May be some lag when playing fast video action.
May cause slow response from other USB devises like Mouse or Keyboard.

Most users seem to be happy with the results.

I would try and buy, over the counter encase of problems or it does not do want you want, it would be much easer to have a face to face conversation.

weldon49

weldon49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok thanks for the help. ill experiment on this rig soon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
weldon49

Firstly, may I offer you apologies for the slight confusion with the closure of the second posting of this problem in the Hardware forum. The suggestion, to ask in the Hardware forum, was of course made by my colleague Ztruker when you first posted the problem in the Windows 7 forum

However, although the closure of the topic, was unfortunate, it is a liitle harsh of you to say AND IGNORANTLY told me not to repost.

i was then told to repost in another forum for better answer, so i did and then someone locked my topic and ignorantly told me not to repost

Had you have mentioned in your post in the hardware forum, the previous post in the Windows7 forum and the reason for posting again, the situation would not have occurred.

After the suggestion by Ztruker, another staff member Road Runner posted advice, on the original thread and BEFORE your post in the hardware forum. This of course was the last post seen when it was realised that you had the two threads running on the same problem.

It was still an error on our part.

However I hope you now realise how it occurred and that no one here at Geeks to Go was being unhelpful or indeed ignorant

i would appreciate it if i could get an answer without my topic being locked from another unhelpful tech member.

Finally, I view the post by Road Runner as very helpful and indeed the post on the thread that was closed, also contained two links which seem to assist.
I therefore find it a little difficult to understand the meaning of the quote below.

no one gave me assistance with any value yet.

AND to address the actual question with the Intel integrated graphics chip, and it only having VGA connection, the short to the point answer is NO, you cannot run three monitors. You will never get them to work properly.

You will encounter all nature of problems and without wishing to dishearten you, as many of the reviews stated, the processor and the integrated graphics on VGA port only, are the limiting factors.

http://reviews.cnet....eview-50001655/
No powerhouse

To keep the price of the laptop down, Samsung has used a dual-core Intel Pentium T4500 processor clocked at 2.3GHz, rather than one of Intel's higher-spec Core i3 chips. The processor is backed up by a healthy 4GB of RAM and, thanks to the fact that Samsung has gone with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium, all of this memory is addressable by the OS.

Unfortunately, the laptop refused to complete our PCMark05 benchmark text. In use, it was pretty obvious that the machine lacked some oomph when faced with more demanding applications, although it was fine for day-to-day tasks like emailing, word processing, browsing the Web or watching programmes on BBC iPlayer.

Rather than opting for discreet graphics, Samsung has instead stuck with plain old integrated Intel GMA graphics. Integrated graphics never score well in the 3DMark06 benchmark test. The RV510 clocked up a meek score of just 904, which is worse than some netbooks.

That means you should throw any ideas you have of being able to play newer games out of the window, although you may be able to play much older 3D titles. The graphics processor works perfectly well, however, when it comes to more mundane tasks, like high-definition video decoding. We had no problems playing HD streams from BBC iPlayer, for example, or high-definition movies in the MKV format.

AND I have looked at the product in the link you provided
http://www.amazon.co...=&hvptwo==

Is it NOT the same principle as suggested in the thread that was closed.

In my opinion you are as I said unlikely to succeed, and I think possibly more likely to encounter problems.