Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD; Need advice please

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
PC Matic attachment

Attached Thumbnails

• PC Matic.JPG

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The red shield was not for updates that was the yellow info one.
The red was a security warning

The URL is the web address when Pitstop produces the results - just copy and paste it

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

address bar of your browser

SEEN IT NOW you have run PcMatic

OVERDRIVE please

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Overdrive Full Test
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24872891

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am a little confused.

Gateway are not the best site to try and work on by any means but if I have the right computer on the model T3612, the drivers and support available do not include XP
All drivers are for Vista
It appears I am correct as of course you say it is the emachines in an early post and Gateway also confirms it.

I notice the O/S XP was installed on the 26 Feb this year

Vista drivers do not always work with XP and the generic drivers found by windows or installed from the Intel site as it is an Intel mmotherboard, do not always work either, as large companies such as Gateway, Hp Dell and all the rest have boards specifically manufactured for their computers

Freqently for instance, integrated graphics, etc are not readily catered for on the gateway board , with the generic drivers supplied by Intel.

If this computer did originally have Vista and you have now installed XP, then it reaaly is a trial and error situation until you find the best drivers to work with.

You can use all the sites you wish - DriverMax (although I do not personally like it) - you have to be careful not to install AVG Security toolbar and many others, such as indeed Pitstop.
These sites are only offering the driver on the basis of they detect XP as the OS.

Here is what I mean by the Intel drivers

Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

The intel site has your board identifier
D945GCCRG1
but missing the 1 at the end the link is below

http://www.intel.com...picarea=Support
I suggest you start there. Downloading from Intel Gateway Nvidia etc is always perferable to letting drivermax or any other utility decide what you need.
Providing of course you know which hardware you want the driver for.

YOU may be able to get results on trying this
http://downloadcente...t.aspx?lang=eng
run the auto scan.

If I am CORRECT and the system did have VISTA, I can see no real chance of progress, except by you exploring as above.

On all the evidence available the drive is OK
However the number of errrors suggest there is a fault and I suspect it will be found to be a driver issue.

Unless rockmilk has anything further to offer, in which cae I am sure he will post, I would wait and see what happens.
KEEP a full backup of course on an external drive. - as indeed you always should

If you experience the crashes
run Who Crashed
check temperatures in BIOS
if you know how try with one stick of ram, you have two of 512

and of course above all post back if you need to.

Finally, and do not be annoyed please, if it did have Vista, may I presume that the XP installation is on this computer in accordance with the license conditions.
The reason I ask is if this product key is already in use on another computer and it was a ONE LIcence key, then of course that is not in accordance with the license and we could not help you further.

MAY I STRESS that I am NOT making any suggestions as to that I am simply posing the question.

NB Pitstop discloses a minor issue for your consideration
a fragmented file on C drive and 22Gb allocated to system restore.
You can WHEN the system is working OK reduce that restore capacity to 3% of the drive.

and as the drive is Gateways model of Western Digital you can use the Western Digital disk check utility if you at any time have further concerns
http://support.wdc.c...3&sid=2&lang=en

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ok. I bought this computer used from a surplus store in Feburary this year. It is possible the computer originally had Vista so I don't know about the licensing. One final question; If you think this computer was designed for Vista, is it likely to perform ok with WINDOWS 7?. I used a laptop with vista and don't prefer the vista O.S. I would prefer to buy Win 7 32 bit instead of vista if that would be wise.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you bought it used from a surplus store, is there a COA Certificate of Authenticity anywhere on the case that provides you the XP certification and the product key, as I see you have run Magical jelly bean.

If Windows has validated the installation and you are able to install non security updates you are more than likely OK

In answer to your exact question I saw no downloads for 7 but this will provide the answer

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=20

My advice depending of course on which way you wish to go is to wait and see how the computer performs.

If it crashes again as I said in my previous, run WHO Crashed and come back for advice., if you need to

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
The only thing I see on the case is the VISTA sticker with a product key. It installed all the updates from WIndows Update for the past 6 weeks.

I ran win7 adviser earlier and it indicated that this computer is compatable to run WIN 7. I am ordering a new WIN 7 disc to be sure it's legal.

This machine is subjected to only light use each week but the recording it does is pretty critical and I don't want to run the risk of a crash and losing it.

I'm going to stop at that but I want to thank you and rockmilk for all the help and time you two have dedicated to helping me out with this.

Thanks!
JohnGo

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I am ordering a new WIN 7 disc to be sure it's legal

Please do not think I was saying that the XP was NOT legal, it was simply that I realised the computer was originally sold with Vista installed.

If you ensure you have a complete image backup - remembering that a image is a backup but a backup is not necessarily an image then even if disaster occurred you simply restore from the image.
- the image being of course on an external drive., or other media separate from the INTERNAL hard drive.

If you really wish to reassure yourself go here

http://www.microsoft...validation.aspx

If it passes validation - all is well.
I think it will as I see from Pitstop
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)1.7.0069.2Feb 16, 2012was installed on the computer on the date shown.

Please come back of course if you need further advice and if you do stay with XP I would try that link I sent for the XP driver downloads for the Intel.

Good luck and may I stress that it was rockmilk that did all the hard work