Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Out of free space on disk

• Please log in to reply

Helger

Helger

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I last had 500Mb, now i have 50mb. And i cant get more. I dont understand, why is it so low. I remember, i installed new drives on pc, that were outdated with driver scanner, but could that lose so much? Im out of ideas, what should i do. I deleted some stuff, that i know and that i dont need. But still, it will not go over 100mb
I have 2 disks
10GB( witch i am talking about)
And 66
I need help on this, how to get old, outdated drives back or some other ideas, where my room has gone.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Could you explain a little more please
what does 66 refer to please

, i installed new drives on pc

drives or drivers ?

What quantity of ram is on the computer please - eg 512Mb

What is the make and full model of the computer please if branded.

How much space does diskcleanup offer

What errors have you been receiving notification of - if any

and if you had a 10Gb drive the absolute practical miminum is 1GB although you should really aim for 1.5Gb = 15%

Additionally and please do not be annoyed, you appear to have a tendency, of not completing your topics, to a conclusion, even if that were to be that the problem cannot be resolved.

May I seek you assurance that you will stay with this one, as for you to simply fail to reply after a few posts is a waste of time, both for me and indeed for yourself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
If I may Macboatmaster
A link to one of the OPs previous topics - see post #5 onwards http://www.geekstogo...14-fan-problem/
Hope this helps.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
phillpower2

Thanks

Helger

It appears the problem has been explored before and the answer is without in any way wishing to be sarcastic, you cannot fit a litre into a 500ml container.

The answer is
1. Buy a larger capacity hard drive

OR

as a temporary measure, as the computer is really not worthwhile money being spent, certainly not more than the cost of a larger capacity hard drive, move all your personal data documents, images and audio files to the external drive.
If you explore the capacity of all these files you will see how much space you will gain.
DO NOT move programs, it will not work.

COPY first check the data is still accessible and then delete from C drive.

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Could you explain a little more please
what does 66 refer to please

, i installed new drives on pc

drives or drivers ?

What quantity of ram is on the computer please - eg 512Mb

What is the make and full model of the computer please if branded.

How much space does diskcleanup offer

What errors have you been receiving notification of - if any

and if you had a 10Gb drive the absolute practical miminum is 1GB although you should really aim for 1.5Gb = 15%

Additionally and please do not be annoyed, you appear to have a tendency, of not completing your topics, to a conclusion, even if that were to be that the problem cannot be resolved.

May I seek you assurance that you will stay with this one, as for you to simply fail to reply after a few posts is a waste of time, both for me and indeed for yourself.

66GB
512mb Ram
Disk cleanup offers 100mb, but, when i want it to clean, i press ok and it says it cleaned the disk, but when i go back, the 100mb is still there. Like it didnt do anything.
No errors, also i dont have anti virus program installed right now. Also i think drivers? :) Like mouse, keyboard, ATI gfx

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Well 100Mb would not make a lot of difference

2. See my last post re moving docs etc

3. If you have been browsing without an anti-virus, unless you have been extremely selective, in the sites you have logged onto - then clearly you know I presume the risks involved.

4. If you do not check the box next to the entries on disk cleanup, it will not delete those files, therefore when you go back you will again have what disk cleanup said could be cleaned before.
Albeit, it is taking you no where in any case as 100mb is neither here not there,
After a veru short while you would even if that space was gained lose it again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Helger

It is now some 8 days since you last replied.
Would you kindly update your topic, indicating if you still require help
Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I might also suggest the following two programs.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
A 10Gb HDD with only 50Mb of free space.

The real answer as Helger was advised on the linked topic in post 3, is of course a larger capacity drive.

and POSSIBLY my advice of moving personal data from Documents and Settings - on the 10Gb drive to the 66Gb drive
Post 17 on linked thread refers.

That together with 512Mb ram is the limiting factors I feel.

Helger IF YOU DO RETURN please see the advice from rshaffer61

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Posted ImageSee my last post re moving docs etc

Ummm this is your first post in this topic so.... :whistling: