Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot into my Win 7 64-bit Acer Laptop

• Please log in to reply

JohnSmith101

JohnSmith101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Boot normally -- it hangs on "Starting Windows" animation forever.

Boot safe mode -- it bluescreens.

Boot with a recovery CD (or try Repair Installation directly without a CD) -- it hangs on the green loading bar forever.

I dual-boot Ubuntu and can get into the Ubuntu partition fine so I don't think anything is necessarily wrong with the harddrive, but the Ubuntu partition is tiny and I rarely use it and can't access my Windows files anyway.

Is there anything I can try that'll help repair whatever happened? I just want to run a checkdisk utility or something similar that'll repair whatever got botched.

My laptop: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834215206

Edited by JohnSmith101, 09 April 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

Disruption

Disruption

Geek in Training

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
From the looks of it, it appears something is up with your Windows Installation.

JohnSmith101

JohnSmith101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there a way to fix the installation without losing all my data?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you boot from the recovery cd to command prompt...if so at the prompt type in chkdsk /r and press enter
if you want to save your data first go here for a guide using puppy linux
are you able to get into your bios...if so make sure the cd drive is set as the first boot device then the hard drive
if all else fails you will have to remove the hard drive and slave it to a working computer then run chkdsk /r on the drive