Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restarts after shut down

• Please log in to reply

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
i have an old PC that i am piecing together to give to my grandson.

the motherboard is an old Intel D850GB with 1GB of RDRAM installed.

the PC started re-starting after shut down from the time i first got it running.

I've been reading solutions to this problem, from a few different forums to try to solve this by myself. I've finally accepted defeat.....i can't figure it out on my own.

here is what i have gone through so far.

i read that this could be happening from a download from microsoft. i did have the system up to date with microsofts downloads when i read this. so i started from scratch, and re-installed the operating system, and then downloaded a few of microsofts downloads at a time, to try to isolate the problem download, assuming that was my problem.

i would download 6 of microsofts downloads, and then restart the PC to see if it was going to re-start after shut down.

i did discover that the problem did start after one of microsofts downloads, but after many hours of trying to isolate the download, i gave up on finding "the one". apparently, when the problem download is downloaded, it changes some other information outside of the download itself, and deleting the problem download doesn't fix the problem.

so i have this system completely up to date with microsofts downloads.

i also ran Piriforms Defraggler to clean the drive up.

then i read this, and did as suggested.....

Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

after de-selecting "auto restart" the PC continues to re-start after trying to shut it down. i do not get a blue screen error.

this is as far as i have been able to take it on my own.

is this something that i can be helped with here ??

thanks,
Ron

Edited by SKOOTERBUM, 09 April 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Advertisements

Omega40

Omega40

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem as well with one of my computers. I would be interested to know why this happens and if it can be rectified.

UPDATE: Forgot to say that the computer was running WinXP-Professional

Edited by Omega40, 12 April 2012 - 05:09 PM.

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi omega40. i haven't figured out what is causing this to happen, and i am predicting that i no longer will get any help from this forum. so i doubt you will find any help from this thread.

if they think you are trying to fix computers for re-sale, you get black listed, and no one will help you.

so i suggest that you only post once a month here, or they will think you are abusing there rules.....

even if they are wrong !! they don't even bother to talk to you about it. they just ignore your posts.

so what ever you do, avoid posting more than once a month !!!

you should start your own thread to get your answers.

also avoid any communication through private messenging. they are only trying to feel you out, to see what your intentions are. anything you say will get twisted around, to make it look like you are abusing the site.

if you can avoid being targeted for site abuse, they are some of the nicest people you could meet, and they offer great advice.....

good luck !!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...go to bios and see if ACPI is enabled or not
Check the power options in the control panel...look for the one that says what to do when you press shut down make sure its set to shut down not restart

SKOOTERBUM
in the future please don't try stating our polices for us...

if they think you are trying to fix computers for re-sale, you get black listed, and no one will help you.

so i suggest that you only post once a month here, or they will think you are abusing there rules.....

even if they are wrong !! they don't even bother to talk to you about it. they just ignore your posts.

is completely wrong...

people get missed sometimes because OP posts several times to his/her own thread...other people that can help think your already being helped so they don't even look...

sometimes its the way you word the subject...

sometimes for me at least if there is a language barrier (their English is really bad) I tend to avoid because of problems in the past trying to explain things to them and it taking waaaaay to long to get through to them I just don't reply then someone with more patients and skill can work with then

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Happyrock, i am truely sorry if i was incorrect in my previouse post .....

but since you were not involved with the private messages that i was, it is understandable that you would think i was being disrespectful towards this forum.

i did say there are really nice people here to offer there help. i also stated what my experience here has been. i didn't lie about, or missrepresent my experience on this site.

to end this thread, and my posts about my experience here, i will cancel my subscription with this forum, and take my business elsewhere.

thanks for all the help that i did get here, it is appreciated !! but to those of you that assumed i was abusing the site, i was trying to learn about computers, and was working on older computers that people were throwing, or giving away, and was trying to get them running again to give to the younger people in my family, so they had the oportunity to gain experience with them. which is why i was posting about more than ONE computer.

thanks,
ron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello SKOOTERBUM...

After looking into this and speaking with the Staff member involved, it has become abundantly clear to me that this is a misunderstanding...nothing more.

Our Terms of Use does provide us options should we believe that our services are being used for profit or that some business decides to use us as their personal IT department, but we are quite lenient in the enforcement of this particular rule. Even the pro's run into problems that may require fresh perspective...so long as they don't abuse the service. We are here to help anyone who needs help...particularly home users and hobbyists such as yourself.

That said, I do think you jumped to some conclusions a little unfairly. The correspondence I've seen showed only that you were provided factual answers to your questions. No where did I see anything about not continuing to help you with your computer problems.

My apologies that you found your experience here less than stellar. Whether you choose to return here for help or go elsewhere is, of course, entirely up to you. I don't think you'll find a better group of people than you've found here, though.

wannabe1