Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad clusters found in same place

• Please log in to reply

Dr David

Dr David

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello,

I have a problem with my Dell laptop. On Saturday I noticed that it was freezing, restarting and then running slowly. I tried to run malwarebytes and windows security essentials, but neither would start. I scheduled and ran a CHKDSK which did identify some problems in the index verification (stage 2 of 5), but did not solve the problem with the laptop. I gave up yesterday, backed up my files and then reinstalled the factory image of the system. However, when I run CHKDSK, it always gives me the following error in the verifying file data (stage 4 of 5) section:

"Windows replaced bad clusters in file 31 of name \%Extend\$RmMetadata\%TxfLog\%Tops"

I have tried to google what this may mean and some reports indicate that this could have been an attack on my laptop.

Is this something anybody has come across before or is it just that my hard drive is on its way out?

Many thanks for any assistance that can be provided.

David

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

is it just that my hard drive is on its way out?

Hi Dr David,

You'll find it's most likely this. Are you familiar with running a hard drive diagnostic to determine if the drive is going bad? Is the computer still under warranty?

Cheers

Dr David

Dr David

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you for such a swift response. Other than running CHKDSK, I'm not overly familiar with running diagnostics. I think it's still under warranty, so hopefully okay to get fixed.
Thanks
David

Dr David

Dr David

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello,
I've since run the dell diagnostics tool and it has retuned the following problem:
"error code 2000-0146"
Some forums indicate this could be a virus in the boot sector. If this is the case, is the hard drive salvageable?
Thanks
David

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's possible you may be able to recover the data yourself. We have a how-to guide here. It may need a little updating but should work as is:

http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...
scroll down to where it says...
Hard Drive Remove and reinstall the Hard Drive for the error codes:

1000-0141
2000-0141
1000-0142