Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hotmail account sending spam to contacts

• Please log in to reply

leofranco

leofranco

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got a few texts from friends saying that they have received spam from my email this morning and it seems to be true. Iv seen similar before where just a link is sent (and when you click on it your account is then infected), and I am sure that i have not clicked on one before which makes me think perhaps its a virus of sorts. However i have run a full scan and nothing has turned up. In my email i have also got some "delivery status notification failures" which contained the link that was being sent and to whom they were sent. I have exported all my contacts to gmail already then deleted them all but worryingly there seemed to be peoples emails who i had just sent an email to in the past not just my contacts, i am very reluctant to delete all my sent messages as there are some important ones and about 10 years of history - (can you forward them all at once to another email?). I have also changed my password and removed all account affiliations to other social networks as well.

Is there anyway i can make sure my hotmail can no longer be accessed by third parties? What should i do next.

Thanks

Leo

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Change your Hotmail password if you' haven't already.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
As the reply above doesn't really help you that much:

1] Find a 100% sure un-infected system, at least another one then you normally use, and change ALL ONLINE PASSWORDS. ALL OF THEM! Even if you did already, DO IT AGAIN! There might be a key-logger (or far worse) on your system, a few scans don't say anything anymore I'm afraid, so do NOT access any of them anymore from the system you are speaking of, for now. Please use strong passwords or pass-phrases ( #1Leave_M3+al0ne! for example), actually one good one for all accounts would do temporarily, as long as the system you type them on is safe.

2] Send all your contacts a short mail, explaining the situation and warning them, also, consider all financial transactions you did online lately... (Paypal / Bank)

3] Read the malware topic and post your log with a thorough explanation (mentioning this topic would be a start) in the right forum, it's all very self-explanatory..

4] GOOD LUCK!

PS: the only way to back-up web-mails I know off is sending them to an account you can access with an email-application and make back-ups from within that. You could copy-paste all webmails-content by hand into .txt files on your HDD, or you could mass send them to another (new / temp) email account, in that case, give mail.com a try...