Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC restarts with a Blue Screen Flash

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Yup. I have the Pro and I picked Pro.

And it looks like I need to get enough out of this old PC to save for a new one.

Edited by butterrice, 29 April 2012 - 05:14 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It looks like the cheapest unless you can find better is about $60
http://www.newegg.co...ves&Order=PRICE

As my colleague happyrock has said, it MAY be the case of - do you spend another $60 having already spent on the motherboard.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
well I appreciate the help from you two. But it seems I have some decisions to make here. I can not get the repair disk to work, it says it can't find the EULA. I will continue to work on that. I will check back in a few days. I'm going to post the issue on the link and see if there some resolution.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
butterice

I'm going to post the issue on the link and see if there some resolution.

To which link do you refer please?

If you mean the link that my colleague happyrock provided you with in his post 16
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

please be advised that that link is a pinned topic on the subject of Repair installation of Windows and is not for active advice.

Why do you not just run the test of the drive I sent you, although you can see the results of the chkdsk for yourself, this will I feel provide you with the additional confirmation.

Additionally if you run the Avast uninstall, you may eliminate one of the errors.

Also you asked a question on your post 19 about the compatability of your computer for Windows Vista or 7.
The answer of course comes back to the reliability of your system as a whole

However to answer the question, without considering that aspect, albeit you would I think be ill-advised to ignore it, here is the link you need
http://windows.micro...roducts/upgrade

The online upgrade compatability check for Vista is no longer avilable, but if it wil run 7 it will run vista.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I am going to run them. I'm just trying to figure out how to use that suggestion that Happy Rock sent. When I use the program and insert the disk, it will stop at the EULA. I'm told this disk only repairs. It's asking me what to repair and I don't know what put in the box. The instructions only tell you how run the disk if you hit enter.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you press the r key

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Ok. What I'm trying to explain is this - I have pressed the "R" key. After doing so it askes "what do you want to repair?" I don't know what to enter. The instructions do not tell you that. The instructions only tell you what to do if you hit "enter".

I hit R again. It brings to a black screen showing c:/ then asks, what installation do I want to repair. I have not idea what put there.

Edited by butterrice, 02 May 2012 - 09:49 PM.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
MacBoatmaster -
I tried both Disk Checks you sent - Fujitsu and SeaTools. SeaTools wanted me to download Net Framework V 4.0. I did that. Twice. And the program kept telling me it needed it. I eventually uninstalled all of it. Fujitsu didn't work at all.

Is there any help on what Happy Rock wants me to run. After I hit "R", it's asking what I want to repair. I don't know what to put in.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
But Fujitsu would not work because

I posted this

I think Acer Travelmate had Fujitsu drives if so here is there disk check

http://storage.toshi...tware-utilities

If it is NOT a Fujitsu that will not run so use the Seatools for dos which will run on any hard drive but only in a limited test mode
http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/
Go Device Manager - expand disk drives, what is shown please as the identifier for C drive, you may well identify the make from there

You then confirmed that it was a samsung drive, and I then posted

Samsung have been taken over by Seagate, in so far as relates to Hard drives.

So you will have to use the Seagate dick check,
Seagate for dos will check any
Seagate for windows is compatible with samsung drives.

The original Samsung software has been withdrwawn by Seagate from their website.

So use the Seagate for DOS
that will not ask you to install any net framework as it runs in dos
http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/#
then click downloads and select the Seatools for Dos

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I understood what you posted, I just didn't know to use DOS with the Seatools. I only tried Fujitsu cause I thought - what the heck, maybe the computer didn't detect it right. Going to use the DOS now. THank you for clarifying, MacBoatmaster.

Advertisements

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I honestly don't know why I'm having a tough time with this. It seems it should be so easy. When I download the SeaTool for DOS it d/l's as a WinRAR. Is it supposed to do that? And if so, what am I supposed to open - inside there is nothing but text files and .ima's. I even tried burning the download as it was - a WinRAR,thinking the set up will happen when it boots and of course it won't boot up.

Either way I do this - it doesn't boot up at all and I have changed the boot up order. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have you read the instructions it is an ISO file you have to burn the CD using an iso burner
Here are the instructions
http://www.seagate.c...ols-dos-master/

and to make it easier for you here is an iso burner you can use
http://www.terabyteu...ds/burncdcc.zip

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Seagate ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Yes, I read the instructions. I'm to download Seatools for Dos to my Desktop (did that 3 times). From there, I burn it to my disc. Included in the instructions (that tell you how to burn)were links to Nero and Roxio. I have Nero. In Nero 10 Burnlite, I'm supposed to use the "data burn" option. Did that. It shows that it's burning to the disk (did this 3 times). Disk kicks out when complete. It does not boot up. I have changed the order as well, still nothing.

I will try the link you sent in the post and see it helps. I know you are likely becoming frustrated here, and I'm sorry.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No I am not becoming frustrated I just want to try and solve that for you

I do not know the Nero 10, but it will not be data burn it will be ISO image or whatever words Nero use

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay! SUCCESS! Unfortunately the long version detected way too many bad sectors and stopped at about 38%. At that point I believe the count was 77 issues. The program couldn't "repair". Now I'm trying to get the log so I can post it. I'm also reading the "Bad Sector Found" page. Thank you for hanging in there with me.