Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC restarts with a Blue Screen Flash

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Okay - ran the chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r as the article suggested. I'm gonna run the SeaTool Diagnostic again to see if there is any change. Is there a log I need to post here?

Advertisements

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
I ran the Seatool for Dos again. To be more specific, I ran the long test. It stops at 39% with 99 errors found. It can't repair it because it's not a SeaGate drive so it tells me to contact the company that made it.

I continue to experience freezes. Is it possible to get any help from anyone on the disk that Happy Rock wants me to run? I have hit R like he said, but then it will ask me what I want to check. I'm not sure what I want to check. Any help with that would be appreciated.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its not looking good with the drive showing so many errors after running chkdsk /r

borrow a retail copy of xp from one of your coworkers or friend and try the repair using that but it has to be the same version...like if you xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
will do! Thank you!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I agree with my colleague, happyrock, and would add, as we have both said before, you now have to decide, if the system is worthwhile spending on a new hard drive.

We know it is not a seagate drive, it is a samsung, but seagate have taken over samsungs hard drive business and as I told you seagate have removed the original samsung hard drive check, from their data base.

However with that number of errors and the confirmation of the chkdsk errors, my personal opinion is that you are not going very far with it.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Thanks you two for all of your help. I'll have to weigh my options here.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
depending on what you do with your computer...one option is to continue using the computer using puppy linux...its a live cd and runs totally in ram...it doesn't need a hard drive

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
How do I get this "puppy linux"?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for a guide...
its for saving any data you want but after that surf the web or do what ever you want...

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Hi Happy Rock! I wanted to let you know that I'll be running a fresh install of Windows XP to see if that will correct errors. If not, it's off to get a new hard drive. I appreciate all of you're help with this. I just didn't want to leave you hanging. Thank you again.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...do come back at let us know it goes... :thumbsup: