Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC restarts with a Blue Screen Flash

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks wannabe1... :thumbsup:
now its time to repair XP...
for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

if you don't have a xp cd

Please download ARCDC.exe from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. ..pick The Windows version of the system you need it for
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files if you want...not sure then you don't need any
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would also consider, the following.

Those errors are all graphic related

igfxtray.exe, hkcmd.exe, and igfxpers.exe

In respect of Avast, I would look at the following
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

However care is needed, as warned on the link, as any folder you select will have the files in that folder deleted.

Also your chkdsk report shows

2868 KB in bad sectors.

which is a large quantity of bad sectors.
Contrary to the sometimes held belief, chkdsk CANNOT repair bad sectors, it simply attempts to recover the data from the bad sector and re-write it to a good sector. It, chkdsk, then marks the sector as bad, so that data is not re-written to it.

As my colleague happyrock has said, there is a real concern that the disk will fail.
If you look at the chkdsk results you will see the read failures listed and MORE IMPORTANTLY

Adding 10 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.

It MAYBE that any attempt to correct the current errors, even if successful, is only buying time on the inevitable, which is replacement of the drive.

I tend to think I would clone it, to a new drive and then attempt to put right the file systems on the new drive.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Happyrock - I downloaded ARCDC.exe from the site you listed. I began the xp repair following the instructions, but by the second step it says it can't find the EULU (licensing)? Only option is F3 to quit.

MacBoatmaster, I just had the motherboard on this thing replaced so that is very frustrating news! But I appreciate your input. I will also start a search for a new hard drive. But would like to see if I can get a bit more life out of this.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Question - XP will be losing support in a couple of years anyway = what If I just upgraded the whole system to vista or 7? How do I find out if my Acer Travelmate can handle the upgrade?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I just had the motherboard on this thing replaced

1. When please.

2. It is pointless even considering it, an upgrade on that hard drive, unless the report from chkdsk is false which I do not think it is.

I think Acer Travelmate had Fujitsu drives if so here is there disk check

http://storage.toshi...tware-utilities

If it is NOT a Fujitsu that will not run so use the Seatools for dos which will run on any hard drive but only in a limited test mode
http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/
Go Device Manager - expand disk drives, what is shown please as the identifier for C drive, you may well identify the make from there

3 My good colleague happyrock is back online now so he will no doubt advise you

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
1. Motherboard was replaced only a few months ago.

2. Under Disk Drives I have these 2: SAMSUNG HM120JI and SD1 Device. It doesn't identify which Drive for either.

3. Waiting for Happy Rock :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK here is your samsung drive
120Gb Sata
http://reviews.cnet....ag=mncol;subnav

Samsung have been taken over by Seagate, in so far as relates to Hard drives.

So you will have to use the Seagate dick check,
Seagate for dos will check any
Seagate for windows is compatible with samsung drives.

The original Samsung software has been withdrwawn by Seagate from their website.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Thank you! Going to go look at it now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
There is a point that comes to my mind - why was the motherboard replaced, was it ascertained beyond doubt that IT the motherboard was faulty - as far as is within your knowledge of course.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Yes, the Motherboard was faulty. I actually took my PC to be repaired because my DC adapter port was shoved inside my PC. So I thought it would just be replaced. What actually happened is because it was shoved in there, it somehow affected the motherboard.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
arcdc only repairs xp...it will not install a new os...
run the drive tool as mac advised but personally I would not throw any more money at that system...
you replaced the mobo but ALL the things that connect to it are old...so lets say you replace the HD...in a few month something else will quit working so you replace it...at that point in time you have paid for a new system but still have a old system with some other component failing you will be way behind money wise

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I see - I'll have to go back and repair. I chose repair the first time and it asked me what I wanted to repair. I didn't know what to put in so I thought that hit the wrong selection.

In regards to replacing the Hard Drive - am i better off buying a new PC?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I gave you a link in post #16 that explains how to repair xp...got pretty pictures too...

In regards to replacing the Hard Drive - am i better off buying a new PC?

that's a definite maybe...if the drive is cheap enough you may get another year out of the system then ride it into the ground...if the drive is near a hundred bucks you may want to consider saving that for the next machine...

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - looking back through the instructions - I did hit the right one. Do I need to post in that thread about this stopping at the EULA Licensing Agreement? It says it can't find it and makes me quit.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you get the right version...
like if you have xp pro you picked xp pro