Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD FX 8-core black edition temperature issue

• Please log in to reply

Black1ce

Black1ce

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This processor is idling at 30-40c. When i run bf3, on the highest settings mind you, it hits 60-68C which is way to close to the max of 70C for me. I used artic silver 5 and applied it twice. Once with a bit more than was needed, and once again with the reccomended. There was no change in temperature. I'm using the asrock extreme tuner utility to monitor the temperatures. This came with my asrock 970 motherboard.
My tower has two 250mm fans and one 150mm fan. So my question is, can I lower these temps without buying a better fan? The default 3.6ghz with the built in 4.2 ghz overclock is on as well. I was thinking a tweak in my bios but have no idea were to start.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The default 3.6ghz with the built in 4.2 ghz overclock is on as well.

This is part of the issue as OC'ing will make the temp rise also.
Another option is to make sure your cable management inside your case is correct and nothing is impeding the flow of air.
Does your GPU have a dedicated fan on the card and is there a fan on the side of the system drawing air directly to the GPU?
Your temps in reality are not that bad but if you want to drop it a little more you can always consider taking the side off the case and even adding a box fan to blow air directly into the case.
What is the ambient temp in the room where the system is located?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Black1ce

Please see the attached table and note the max CPU temp as it states 61C max not 70C;

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

What temps doesthe asrock extreme tuner utility report,withoutany overclocking.

The utility may be inaccurate, check temps through the BIOS.

Check that the heat sink/fan assemble is properly seated.

Take anti static measure then with one finger, apply a little pressure to each corner of the heat sink locking mechanism and watch the temps, there should be no dramatic change.

Edited by iammykyl, 12 April 2012 - 04:32 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can also try one or both of the below to checks temps also.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
When you applied TIM the second time, did you thoroughly clean both heat sink and CPU surfaces with Isopropyl Alcohol ?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi,
How are things going? we have had no response from you.
An update would be appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 34 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.