Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't change desktop backgrounds; install programs.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

David Ca1226

David Ca1226

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So, I have an account on a School Computer, and, unfortunately, the district has decided to lock them down. I would like to be able to do to thing, of which I am not allowed: Change my desktop background, and install programs, such as Gimp, that require administrator privileges. For the background issue: I am unable to access the desktop properties tab; it says: "This Operation has been Cancelled by and Administrator."
I have access to an MS-DOS prompt, task manager, and a few other things. I could give a Hijack This report, if neccisary. Safe mode is locked down. I have not tried yet booting from a disk.
Any ideas, tips, hints, warnings, or comments?
Thanks!
David

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We here at Geeks To Go cannot help you get around any sort of administrative restrictions imposed on a School, Work, or any other network not owned and operated by yourself.
These restrictions can include (but are not limited to):
  • Website Blocking policies
  • Software Installation policies
  • Email retention policies
  • Software Configuration policies
  • Network/Internet usage policies
  • Network Configuration policies
  • Forum or Chat Room Bans
  • Game Server Bans
  • Any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question
Any actions by members of the Geeks To Go site that would be offered to help in this manner would directly violate the TOU of this site.

If you have any questions or issues please contact a Moderator or Admin for clarification.

Topic is closed until or if a Global Mod or Admin reopens.