Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 946 printer

• Please log in to reply

Tech-No

Tech-No

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Not sure I am in the right place but hopefully someone can help me get there. I have a Dell 946 printer that will not recognize my black ink cartridge. Brand new cartridge, but the printer will only print using the color cartridge. When I go into properties the program will not allow me to choose 'print in black and white'. Any ideas how to get the printer to recognize and use the black cartridge?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure if Dell printers have the maintenance program but did you go in and tell it you installed a new cartridge?
I know with my Lexmark I have to do this every time I replace a cartridge or it won't understand the cartridge has been replaced.

Tech-No

Tech-No

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am not sure how to tell the Dell I have replaced the cartridge but when I have replaced them before I did not have to do anything other than replace the cartridge.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be a dirty printer ink head then. Take the black cartridge out and check where it connects to make sure there is no residual ink dried on it. If so use some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip to clean it thoroughly.
Is the cartridge brand new or a refill?
Dell brand or a off brand replacement?