Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't remove AVG search engine

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I am not sure which forum to begin asking my questions, I hope I have the right one. My problem started when I downloaded "Anyvideoconverter" so I could use a digital movie clip in a slide show I was making. I was careful to uncheck the box where it wanted to download their toolbar. And then the next time I opened the AVC program, it said I needed to update so I agreed, and in that update they snuck in their toolbar without asking permission.

I use Firefox, so I went to the addons and disabled it. That didn't work, so I uninstalled the whole AVC program, but the AVC search engine remains no matter what I do. Then I went to program files on my computer, found AVG and tried to right click it to remove it, but was given a warning that I would be deleting important files, not sure exactly what it said.

Then I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled to version 11. I still have the AVG pop up as a search engine when I would rather have Google, so can you help me restore that? I also have tried to add the simple items such as print, copy, paste, etc to the Firefox toolbar, and can't seem to get it done. I googled this problem and it said something about tools being hidden by default. I would just like to have my settings back to where I had them and get rid of that blasted AVG search engine. I don't know much about computers, and something that should be so simple is becoming very frustrating for me.

Could you help me?
Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it actually in your search box or is it showing up when you fist start FF as the home page?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
It was showing up in the search box. Since I reinstalled FF and have played with the toolbar a little, it is now showing Google again, although the AVG must still be on my computer since I have not been able to uninstall it. Should I just leave it be? One answer I Googled said to go to program files, select the AVG and rename it "remove" and then restart the computer. This made no sense to me, but I did it anyway, but that did not remove the AVG search.

And I can't seem to get a simple thing like add the print/copy/paste icons to appear in the FF toolbar either. I went to view/toolbars/customize, and the print icon is not there, so how can I add it?

Thanks!

Edited by bettei, 13 April 2012 - 11:42 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click on the top of the FF window and see if Menu Bar is checked. If not check it and let me know if that corrects that problem.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Yes, it is checked. Also Navigation and Bookmarks and Addons, and tabs on top.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I had the same issue a couple of months back with my browser FF and I had to go into options and there I found that AVG was set as the browser home page. Once I changed that to my home page I was able then to delete it from the search list. If that doesn't work then proceed to the below and let me know the results.

What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need and in your case anything that says AVG
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Could you tell me how to add a print and copy icon to the toolbar, since I can't see those icons when I go to tools/options/customize? I dont know how to open my printer without an icon there to click on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and get the toolbar buttons pack. Then when you click on the custimize it should be in that new set of buttons. Just drag and drop them where you want them on the toolbar.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Well, I downloaded that, and there is still no print or copy/paste options in that. So I still dont know how I can get that darned print icon there, how frustrating that I can't figure this simple thing out.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange because it shows in the first row on mine and I have the same set of buttons I just had you download.

Advertisements

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Mine starts with "separator-flexible space-space-activity indicator

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Copy and paste I do not see in the collection but Print is there. Copy and paste I have in my Edit section on the top of FF window.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here is the Print\Preview button alone for FF that you can download.

Copy and paste button for FF.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
That seemed to work, thanks so much. I don't know why FF is making such simple tasks so hard. Also, I went through my add/remove programs, and did not see anything there that refers to AVG. Should I just leave it on my computer, or is there another way to remove it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you switch your default search to something else?