Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't remove AVG search engine

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I was able to change it back to Google..so far so good. But I just wondered if I can remove the rest of the AVG program or just leave it. It was kind of sneaky of them to slip that toolbar into that update, I would like to be rid of their stuff.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
other then the toolbar what else is there?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
In my c/program files there were two things that were listed with AVG on them, one I was able to right click and remove, the other one I tried to do that to, and it said I would be removing important files, so I did as one person said that I Googled..to rename the file "removed" and leave it like that. So it sits in my program files as a file named "removed". I have no clue what it is.

Maybe you can explain why just renaming a file was supposed to get rid of it? I was curious about that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Really it should not have unless it was a protected folder.

AVG Remover
eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.
Get the first one in the list and run it. Let me know if it gets rid of everything then.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
That link takes me to http.com?? Looks like an advertisement to me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the first box is the actual page and the second picture is how to get to it. For some reason it posted the first picture twice so please disregard the second of the same.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Ok, I downloaded that file, tried to run it. Got a C:/document black background window that popped up saying something about "paran empty", then another window asking me if I wanted to continue. I clicked yes, but nothing seemed to happen. Haven't been been asked to reboot or anything, it is like it didn't work.

Should I just leave it alone? thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Other then the folder is there anything else showing up as ABG or any disruption of normal computer activity?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
The AGV file that I renamed "removed" is still there, if that tells you anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this to see if you can take owner ship of the folder. Though it is written for Vista it should work for Win7 also.
Take Ownership

XP

If there is some error message when you try to delete the folder please post that and I can try a program called [bb]Unlocker[/b] if need be.

Advertisements

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Ok, I will have to print those instructions out, not sure if I have the nerve to do it or not! Thanks for all your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me know if it works please. :thumbsup:

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I am a little timid in my ability to do all those steps, so I haven't done it. But I did just notice a new icon near my task bar, so I looked at my start up programs and there is a file called "vprot/avg". I disabled it, but do not see it in my program files listed as that.

Now I am curious how I even got that vprot, and do you know what it is and what I should do with it? Is disabling it enough?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Vprot is another antivirus program.
Check your msconfig startups and see if it is there.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Yes it is, msconfig is where I found it, so I disabled it. Can I remove it?