Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't remove AVG search engine

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep if you can find it you can safely uninstall it if you wish.

Advertisements

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I went through the list of program files, and there is nothing that says "vprot" there. And nothing left that says AVG. As I mentioned, one AVG file I renamed and that is still there. Could the vprot file be included in that file I renamed? I tried right clicking to remove that, but was warned it might contain program files, so I did nothing with it.

And if I do not reply in a timely manner, it is because I have had power problems all morning from storms.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

And if I do not reply in a timely manner, it is because I have had power problems all morning from storms.

Not a problem as we don't close topics in this forum.
You could try a search for Vprot and see if it finds it that way. Since you have it disabled in msconfig startups you really should not have a issue with it now.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I did find 2 different files pertaining to vprot with the search. I tried to save the search, I thought I would be able to copy and paste to show you what they were, but the "save search" shows nothing. 2 of them said KB applications, one said "vprot.exe.3383BE79.pf-C:\windows\. If it is there, why am I not able to find it and remove it?

Also, this is probably a dumb question, but would it do me any good to restore my computer to the day before I did the upgrade of anyvideoconverter? Would that take any of these files away?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could do the search and then take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Restoring back before uninstalling the program may not do any good.
The important question is when you reboot and log back into windows are you getting any error message about vprot now?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
No, I am not getting any error messages. And once before I tried to take a screenshot of something and it did not work. This is an older computer with XP, and I don't think I have the right program to make a screenshot. I know there are free programs you can download to do that, but I am not sure it worth the trouble if I am not getting any error messages.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only program you need is Paint which is part of XP.
Not a problem though because I'm more interested in how the system is running now once we got rid of all that garbage that was loading like AVG and Vprot.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I guess it is running normally for an older computer. I mainly use it to store photos and email. The only thing I have noticed that does not work now is a Maxtor backup external hard drive that I use to store photos and videos on. I plugged it in as I normally do to back up this latest batch of pictures, and it will not recognize my hard drive. I know the power is on to it because the light is on, but this is something you probably can't help me with.
But it is something that has never happened before. I have always unplugged the Maxtor when I didn't need it, and plug back in when I want to use it for backup, but now it does not work. Very frustrating!
It's the only change I notice so far.

I Googled some info about this Maxtor hard drive, and it says something about having a working data cable, check partition, and use the device manager to update drives. All of this I do not know how to do.

Would you be able to help to find out if I have a driver that is not performing?

Edited by bettei, 16 April 2012 - 02:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I know the power is on to it because the light is on, but this is something you probably can't help me with.

I take it that it connects via a USB port and if so have you tried a different port to plug it in?
It may just be a glitch with the USB port and changing it to a different one may correct the issue.
Sometimes on the older systems I noticed this issue with USB devices like printers, keyboards, mice and even external hard drives.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I changed the port, and it still does not recognize my computer. It just says "no external drives were found". Is there any way to check to see if the USB ports are working correctly? I find it odd that everything worked before the AVG update.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I think I have it saved to my desktop, but when I tried to copy/paste it here, the paste is greyed out. I'm sorry I am not more help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can't copy and paste a screenshot. You have to attach it to your post. Below is the instructions for how you do that.

How to attach a file:

• Look below the Fast Reply box at the bottom of this page, click on Use Full Editor button.
  • Scroll down and click on the Browse button.
  • Click on Desktop found in left pane.
  • Scroll to find the image saved to Desktop and click on the image.
  • Click the Open button.
  • Click the Attach This File button.
  • Click Add Reply button and that will attach the file to your next post.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I hope I have done it correctly!

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
See the bottom entry USB Controllers?
Expand that one please and let me know if you have anything with a red X or a yellow exclamation mark. ;)