Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't remove AVG search engine

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
They all look the same, nothing is checked or marked.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets work on the assumption the drivers themselves are the issue.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Which drivers should I select? I have an HP computer with PCtool doctor, and in that program I can run checks for drivers, etc, but I opened that and it said I could only update one driver at a time, and the list was long, so I had no clue which one to select from the list. What drivers should I be looking to fix?

Also, I unplugged the Maxtor device and plugged it into my front USB port that I know works because I use it for downloading from my camera. Again, it did not detect my computer drives. So then I thought the problem lay with the Maxtor itself, so I plugged it into my laptop, and it started installing it there, so the Maxtor must work also? So if my front USB port works, and the Maxtor apparently works with other computers, what could possibly be wrong that my desktop computer wont work with it anymore? Would it do me any good to uninstall the Maxtor from my computer and reinstall it? I am a little concerned not being able to retrieve all these photos I have on it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look for something that says USB controller.
If you want you can take a screenshot or two to get all the drivers that need to be updated and I can point you in the right direction from there.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Did you mean to show you this page with the USB open? I did notice there is a yellow mark next to the Maxtor icon. Don't know what I should do about that.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I goofed, hope this is it.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Also, I just clicked on the yellow sign next to the Maxtor device, and a window opened that told me this.."windows cannot load device driver for this hardware because a previous instance the device driver is still in memory" Code 38.

Would uninstalling the Maxtor and reinstalling it fix my problem maybe?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No what I meant was the Drivermax window after it scans your computer and shows all the drivers that need to be updated. They will be the ones with the red check mark next to them. The up to date drivers will have a green X on them.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Is this what you mean?

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
USB mass storage is what you want to start with.

Advertisements

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I chose the device share usb device stub, downloaded it and opened it. Got a brief message about my mouse not working, restoring old driver, then it said installation complete. But then when I looked at the selected download, it says "download failed". Makes no sense.

You don't think uninstalling that Maxtor and reinstalling it might help? Also, I see that Driver max must now be in my startup programs? Do I have to keep it there or can I uncheck it from startup? I already have too many startup programs I think.

Edited by bettei, 17 April 2012 - 10:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It might but you still need to update the drivers as they are out of date and it may fix a communication issue.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I selected the one you said, but I guess it failed. What can I do if installation failed? Confused because at first it said installation complete, and then I read under the entry that it failed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it failed rescanning should find the driver again.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I did it over and the same thing happened. I got a brief message that my mouse was not working, then a window that said "installation complete". But when you view the selections, it says installation failed. I have a wireless mouse, does that have anything to do with this?