Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't remove AVG search engine

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be it's loosing the mouse driver while updating.

Advertisements

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
So what would you advise?

Do I have to keep this Driver Max program on my computer after I get the drivers updated? Do I have to keep it in my startups?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is up to you but I have been using it for months now and trust it completely to let me know when a new driver has been released for my system. No you don't have to keep it in your startups if you don't want to. You can manually check it once a month for any new drivers.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
If I unhooked my mouse, would it be possible to run that update, or wouldnt it do any good to do that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a regular wired mouse preferably ps2 you could use for this?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I am now on my laptop. I do have the wired mouse that came with my computer. So I unhooked the usb to the wireless mouse, hooked up the old one using the green port at the back of my tower. It didn't work. So I plugged the usb to the wireless mouse back in, and now that does not work right. I can navigate to pages with it, but if I try to enter any typing, nothing happens. The num lock light remains lit and I cant change it. My problem just gets worse it seems!
I dont know how to proceed and get my mouse working again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try rebooting with your usb mouse connected.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Ok, it works again, I should have remembered that. Is that why my old mouse wasnt recognized? Do I have to plug that in and reboot for it to work?
Sorry for all this!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change the mouse you have to shut down the system, change the mouse and then reboot. Especially with PS2 type connectors changing them while the system is on can cause the mouse to short out. USB is not as particular as they can be plugged in when the system is running.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
So provided I am able to get the old mouse working, do you recommend that I retry the failed driver update, and then update 2 drivers daily on the list until the list is completed? Even if my computer is performing ok, do all the updates?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The most important is to get anything that has to do with USB installed first. That way we can make sure your external drive will work then.
:thumbsup:

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I have been updating these drivers, and just noticed that I no longer have a volume control in my task bar now. I went to control panel/ sounds and devices, and everything is greyed out, it says "no audio devices", and the "always show" box is greyed out. I have no idea which driver update did this, so would you be able to tell me how to go about getting the audio back?

thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Scroll down through the list and look for a audio or sound driver that may have been updated. Have you rebooted after installing every driver? Did this just happen today and if so have you rebooted since updating the drivers?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
It just happened today. So I went back and deleted those two driver updates that were done today. Guess I shouldn't have done that? I noticed that DriverMax prompts you if you want to set a restore before you download every time...which I did. Do they have their own restore point setting somewhere in their program, or would you just go to your normal computer restore (if I had to)?

Anyway, since asking this, I went to the device manager and saw a yellow warning sign and did an "update driver" there, and now it seems to be working, and I managed to get the volume control back in my taskbar too. Then I was not able to open itunes because Bonjour was disabled, and I had to enable that, and now that seems to be working.

Now I am little afraid to continue with updating those other drivers on the DriverMax list. What would the driver be named that controlled the audio, so I can avoid messing with that one again?
Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Do they have their own restore point setting somewhere in their program, or would you just go to your normal computer restore (if I had to)?

They use the system restore points program.

Anyway, since asking this, I went to the device manager and saw a yellow warning sign and did an "update driver" there, and now it seems to be working, and I managed to get the volume control back in my taskbar too. Then I was not able to open itunes because Bonjour was disabled, and I had to enable that, and now that seems to be working.

Good news and glad that is resolved.

Now I am little afraid to continue with updating those other drivers on the DriverMax list. What would the driver be named that controlled the audio, so I can avoid messing with that one again?

That all depends on your sound card actually but it should say audio somewhere in the description.