Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a case, have the rest!

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Price for performance I would say is the main reason for that.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
I'm still looking at the Corsair PSU (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139022).

But I saw this OCZ PSU on NewEgg and it ends up being a whole $15 cheaper than the Corsair PSU, PLUS its 100% modular (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341044).

What do you guys think? :S

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
OCZ PSUs are improving in quality and the one at your link appears decent enough performance wise + it has a 5yr warranty, the one negative for me is that the inner components are not made by quality suppliers Seasonic or CWT.
I hope this helps you decide and let us know which you choose and what the deciding factor is for you.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

OCZ PSUs are improving in quality and the one at your link appears decent enough performance wise + it has a 5yr warranty, the one negative for me is that the inner components are not made by quality suppliers Seasonic or CWT.
I hope this helps you decide and let us know which you choose and what the deciding factor is for you.

I think I'm going to have to go for it and get the OCZ PSU. It's full modular rather than partial, and it's more expensive (but ends up being $15 bucks cheaper than the Corsair because of discount codes) and is about the same rated as the Corsair but with even more reviews.

I hope I made the right decision lol, I'll let you know when it gets here and I hook it up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Well I should've bought it yesterday because the Antec 300 case was $10 less + had a $10 mail in rebate. Both deals are now gone. I'll wait a little to see if a new discount comes up before I get it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:rolleyes: Typical but allegedly all good things come to those who wait :thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Went with the OCZ 850w as opposed to the Corsair 850w PSU for a couple of reasons:

• OCZ is 100% modular VS the Corsair being semi-modular
  • OCZ is $160 VS the Corsair at $140 (feeling of "getting what you pay for")
  • OCZ ended up being less expensive after discount codes online, $110 for the OCZ VS $124 for the Corsair
  • OCZ is 80 Plus Gold certified VS the Corsair 80 PLUS Bronze certified
  • They're both good brands so I didn't feel like I was losing any difference in quality between the two

Anyways, I just finished swapping out my Corsair TX750w for this new OCZ ZX850w, and it went very smooth. I LOVE only having the 5 or 6 cables that I currently need as the only ones hooked up in the PSU, with all the others neatly tucked away inside of the carrying bag.

Also, I took 2 pics so you guys can see the finished result of my upgrade (after about 4 years from when I originally built her).
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by GhostLoad, 11 May 2012 - 09:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Nice job and thanks for the pictures, enjoy your new build :thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Thanks for all your help phillpower2 :D