Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE8, MS Outlook, avast!, Carbonite, etc don't work!

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I was told by another tech on geeks to go that I shouldn't uncheck anything in the start up tab

who told you that...
you can try ie 8 now...if you do have any issue with it just uninstall it...it will just roll back to seven

Advertisements

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I installed IE8 and I'm back to having problems. The attached screen shot showing blacked out address bar is a problem that I had when posting to the Browser and Email forum. http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

I will uninstall IE8 as you said and run IE7, but I would like to figure out why IE8 doesn't work. It worked fine until this past February.

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it may be a setting in themes...but I don't know for sure...I quit using IE 10 years ago...
I use firefox and chrome...ie is only used for updating windows and on my last xp machine I was using IE 6 up until about 6 months ago until I built a windows 7 system and it comes with ie 9

you may want to try here for Troubleshooting IE 8 at Microsoft

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If the suggestions from my colleague happyrock bear no fruit try these please.

Try IE8 with no add-ons

Start, programs, accessories system tools, IE No add-ons - start from there. see if that then resolves the problem.

If so it is of course an add-on, extension, toolbar, BHO etc.

If that does not work go system properties, advanced and on performance, if it is set for best performance, set it Let Windows decide.
Reboot is the problem still there.

If that does not work clean boot it only up to and including step 3.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

I suggest you use the manual procedure method 2.

Do not proceed to the next step you will delete all your restore points.

Reboot is the problem still there.

CAUTION when you clean boot check your AV is still running.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I looked at troubleshooting IE8 at Microsoft. The answer may be in there somewhere, but....... where? I couldn't even figure out where to start.

I started IE8 with no add ons but the black background was still there.

The Let Windows Decide button was already checked. So that wasn't it.

I looked at the clean boot instructions, but that stuff is over my head, so I didn't do it.

Part of me wants to get this fixed, you know the challenge. The other part of me says screw it. There are other browsers. I dislike MS anyway.

Soooooooooo.... I uninstalled IE8 and am running IE7. At least it works. I think I will take happyrock's advice and only use IE for updates.

I am thinking of using Safari, Firefox or Opera for my browser. Any suggestions on which is the best?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well if you are going to change there is really only one choice in my opinion and that is Firefox

I have left it I did not like the continual run of new versions introduced with OTT regularity. However that as you have seen is a matter of opinion.

Many do prefer Firefox.

That clean boot is not difficult you know and you could if it solves the porblem then start to establish what is causing it

If you do decide to persevere here is the link to where I obtained the info
http://answers.micro...df532857?page=1

Five pages

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
start with Firefox...during the install it will ask if you want to import your favorites (bookmarks)
say yes...take it for spin...not sure...download chrome install it and take it for aspin...
compare them both at the same time...

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Macboatmaster, you had me convinced that I could handle the clean boot. I reinstalled IE8 before doing the clean boot and, low and behold, no black background behind the favorites bar. I have turned the computer off and restarted it several times thinking the black background would come back, but so far it hasn't. I didn't do the clean boot and I still don't know what is causing IE8 to have a black background and the other problems I experienced. Even though you haven't figured what is causing IE8's problems, shouldn't I leave well enough alone and just play wait and see?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That is good news and I am convinced that you should leave well alone NOW and see if anything develops.

Corrupt installation
Add-on
Extension
Toolbar
etc.

Any of those are a possibility.

Good luck
my colleague happyrock of course did a lot of the work.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Many thanks to Happyrock and Macboatmaster for your help.

IE8 has been working fine and I haven't experienced any problems so far.

After installing IE8, a popup window from IE8 comes up every once in a while that asks if I want to set up IE8. I can't remember exactly what the window says. I will post it the next time it comes up.

The last time I installed IE8 and had the black background I answered the questions that this pop up window asked.

This time I didn't answer the questions and closed the window. I am wondering if this popup window could have been the cause of the problems I was having. Probably not, but just thought I would let you know.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you say yes to the pop up and then say NO to all the options the pop up will not trouble you again.

Perhaps I should calrify that you say NO to the options to install or use other aspects of IE8 such as do you wish to install this etc.

I feel sure that when you click NEXT it will become self explanatory.

This will help you as to what will be offered
http://www.dummies.c...first-time.html

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
highland403

How did you manage with that IE8 popup - please

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
So far, the IE8 popup hasn't reappeared.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good news
Thanks for replying.