Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I use my old HDD in my new PC?

• Please log in to reply

phantom101

phantom101

• Pip
  • 8 posts
[Sorry for the double thread, realized this is the best section for this question]

First, allow me to explain the situation...

I'm currently building a new PC for the first time and plan on installing my OS(Windows 7) on my SSD. I have a few old external hard drives that I opened up(took them out of their case) and wish to use them for storage. Thing is though, there's a lot of data on them that I wish to keep, so I have no intention of formating them..

I plan to connect them via SATA cables. They do -not- have an OS installed on them, they were for music, media, and other miscellaneous files. If I were to connect the hard drives to my new PC, would Windows allow me to access the data stored on them, or would I have to format them first?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
:welcome: phantom101

You will be fine as long as you ensure that your system is set up in the BIOS to boot from the optical drive first so that you can install your W7 onto the SSD, you can either leave it that way or change it so as it boots from the SSD first as opposed to skipping the primary optical drive and then booting from the secondary SSD.

Give us a shout if you require any further assistance with the above and meanwhile you may find the information @ http://windows.micro...-a-drive-letter helpful.

phantom101

phantom101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the warm welcome and response Phill!

I really appreciate the feedback as this has been on my mind for a few weeks and shockingly enough, Mr. Google was little to no help. In addition to the storage factor, I'm also doing this because my external hard drives "broke down" and I believe their USB ports were the cause of this. I'd like one final chance to recover their data if possible. Thanks again for the information, I'll be sure to update this on what happens!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
You are welcome phantom101 :thumbsup:
Yes please do keep us advised as to how you are getting on and any questions let us know, I will also help you with recovering your data off the HDD if required.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I would recommend that you leave the other drives out of the system till you have the computer built and up and running. That will minimise any possible conflicts or the possibility of a drive being formatted that you do not want to format.

phantom101

phantom101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm glad to see more people saying I'll be fine. Has anyone ever done something like this by the way?

And yeah, I plan on doing just what you all have said.

Step 1: Build the PC, and only leave my SSD installed and install Windows 7 onto it.

Step 2: Update all the drivers in Windows 7.

Step 3: Shut down my PC

Step 4: Install/ Plug in the other Hard Drives.

Step 5: Turn on my PC

Step 6: Enter BIOS/ UFI and tell the system to boot from my SSD

Step 7: Restart, and then enter Windows 7 and check to see if the drives are shown and can be used.

Sound about right?

I am kind of worried about the possibility of Windows telling me to initialize them.. I'm not even sure what that means/ does, but I'm guessing it's -like- a format of some kind? I don't know. I've read a few forums explaining something like this for VISTA users. Hopefully 7 will be just fine.

Edited by phantom101, 16 April 2012 - 10:47 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm running XP, Win7 and Win8 all off one drive in my system that I partitioned 3 times. This way when I boot up I get to choose which OS I want to boot into.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 30 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.