Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only plain white screen appears after start up! NO Desktop, No Too

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Steven Burnish

Steven Burnish

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yesterday I restarted my Lenovo laptop after a game I usually play started running slow. Before trying to play the game, all files and programs worked well. However, it took more than 5 minutes to restart whereas it usuall takes around a minute. So having no other options, I pressed the power button for 10 seconds and opened the computer again. It took ages to open and reach the desktop. However, there were no desktop icons, there was start options but none of the programs worked. I restarted it a few more times and this is how it is now:

- It takes around 5 minutes to reach the point where I enter my password and another 5 minutes to reach my desktop
- The desktop is plain white with no icons/start up/taskbars. My wallpaper was plain white like this one, so this maybe my wallpaper!
- The Windows Task Manager runs. It DOES have explorer.exe running!! But it cant open C:/
- "SMAUDIO - Could not find Contexant audio deice, applocation cannot run properly" message comes after every startup
- A roxiowatchtray.exe C++ error msg or something like that used to come. I unchecked RoxWatchTray.10 in System Configuration utility. Hence, this error msg no longer comes.

I tried running in safemode, IT DID NORMALLY!! All the files and prgorams were there safely!!

I consulted other forums and was asked to carry ouy the following steps which i did:
1. Used without the battery, only on power supply
2. Was asked to follow this " Type Regedit on the run task, then located this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Image File Execution Option\Explorer.exe <<<--- Delete this folder and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe"
I COULD NOT find those files at those locations was hence asked to delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> Software >> Microsoft >> Windows NT >> Current Version >> Winlogon' shell" Which I DID
3. Installed Internet Explorer8 in safemode hoping its inbuit malware remover will remove malwares if there are any!
5. Installed "JV16 PoweTools" and fixed my registry files.

STILL the problem has not been solved!! The Windows XP im using is a genuine one But i have never done a back up so im against doing a system restore!

Can someone please help me so I can get my laptop and its files back!!

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

Steven Burnish

Steven Burnish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
UPDATE:

While closely looking at the plain white desktop, what i noticed was i saw a small small portion of the "Start" and the "Time" at the edge of the white background. SO what i think is a malware maybe behind this probelm. SO i ran OTL Scan. A log of the scan is attached.

Steven Burnish

Steven Burnish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OTL Scan

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   134.08KB   280 downloads

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

For future reference/ some friendly advice, please do not create multiple topics for assistance in different parts of the forum...as this may lead too both confusion and a ultimate waste of time on behalf of the volunteer staff here in Geeks to Go, thank you.

I have left the requested Anti-Malware topic for assistance here open. Please be patient whilst a response is forthcoming and do not reply again to that topic otherwise, if in the event the problem is not Malware related I will gladly re-open this topic again...

For now this particular topic is closed.