Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Are my hardware choices compatable and do the job

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi again MickJJ

Here you go - 99.99% of your parts on the link and compatible G-Skill Ram included <_< http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/arhX
GPU http://www.it2you.co...video-card.html

NB: I took the liberty of increasing your screen size to 24" as it was slightly less expensive than the 23" + the Blu Ray play is an alternative model but same brand.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Very nice build.
A couple more sets of RAM on the QVL. > http://www.newegg.co...6^20-231-456-TS

Are you aware about taking anti static measures and will you need a how to build tutorial?

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi phillpower2,
Thanks for your comments and recommendation. I agree with you re: the Blu Ray player. However I will stick with my original monitor as it is a IPS monitor. From what I have read from various web sources this is the technology I should go for.

Hi iammykyl
Thank you for the additional info on RAM
Yes I will be purchasing a anti static wrist band I am also buying Avid Studio, Ainseesoft Blu-Ray ripper and up grading my Serif software.

Now that you have both identified Skill ripjaw ram that is compatible with the motherboard I will go for one of them. From what I have seen G Skill ripjaws seem to be a constant favorite with builders especially with video editing builds.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
MickJJ
You are most welcome :thumbsup:

Appreciate your thoughts on the graphics card if poss Michael

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts

Appreciate your thoughts on the graphics card if poss Michael

Hi Phill. Been really looking at the Pro vs Consumer GPUs over the last couple of weeks.This is my opinion, which I can't back up with tests I have performed.
Where Graphics accuracy is prime, CAD etc or photography, manipulation, then the Pro cards are the go. They are very stable, enhanced drivers, real support, 10 bit colour, (need 10 bit capable monitor) but built on older chips and are *slow*
For video work, consumer cards. For this rig I would consider a GTX 570, 10 bit colour over duel DVI or Display Port. Very fast performance. Pity you can't have the best of both worlds, each time the final choice is with the purchaser.
I would have suggested the 670 but there are issues with Kepler, some is driver related but there is also a problem with the memory controller especially when all slots used and maxed out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Cheers for the above information mate I am better informed on work station cards now :thumbsup:
The GTX 570 does appear to be the best bang for your buck or perhaps pushing the budget up for the GTX 670.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
hI mICKJJ.
hOW IS YOU SELECTION GOING?

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi iammykyl,
My selection is remaining and I am now working on getting the finances.

I was interested in your discussion with phillpower2 regarding GPU

With regard to the monitor I have chosen I thought others may like to know how I came to that particular type, regardless of size or make. I came to my decision after looking at the following web site (and other areas on the web but this was the main one) http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews

I will let you know how things are going once I have everything up and running but I fear that this will some little while now that I have to save up for it all.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Thanks for the update.
Finding the $$$$ is always a problem, especially when you see a part that is just that bit better.
Great review site, will pass it on when others need monitor information.
Check that the Mobo comes with enough SATA cables for the total number of drives you intend to use.

Look forward to your results.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi thought I would post an update.
I now have the finances to go ahead.
My choices have not changed much,
the 120 GB SSD is now going to be 240 GB,
the case is now the Fractal R4,
the Blu Ray writer will be the LG 10LS38 or the Pioneer 208.
the monitor is now the Asus PA248Q as they have now brought out an affordable 24" IPS monitor.
However, as I have waited this long to get the fiancees needed I thought I would wait a little longer and see what the Intel Haswell CPU costs. Latest news is that it will be released June 2nd onwards. I aim to have my new set up by end of July, the only thing that will stop me is if I can afford the Haswell and feel it is the right move and have to wait until stocks are released. If the cost of moving up to the Haswell CPU and new motherboard is more than I am prepared to pay I will stick to specification I have already chosen.
It is most probably to early to comment but as there is a lot of information regarding the workings / performance of the Haswell CPU I would be interested in any views / comments people have with regard to me awaiting the release of the CPU. I will still be getting the Quadro 2000 graphics card and the main use of the computer is still HOME video / photo editing and general computer work i.e. spread sheet, word processing, trawling the Internet.

I may be going overboard a little but I see this as most probably my last major investment in a computer. After this it will be either an upgrade of components or the purchase of "off the shelf computer" costing less than half the price of this one

Software
Win 8 Professional 64 bit
Kaspersky Internet Security
Microsoft Office 2010
Blu Ray player Cyberlink Power DVD 12
Blu Ray copy Leawo
Blu Ray ripper Aiseesoft
Editing Pinnacle 16 Ultimate I was going for the Avid Studio but they do not do a one off complete package anymore. Their software is divided up into separate function packages
Serif Page Plus and Serif Photo Plus.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Gday MickJJ.
Thanks for the update, always good to hear from your. I think still early to have opinions on the new chips, it's all speculation, have to wait for the pro reviewer to get their hands on some hardware. I am willing to bet that your original list will be unrecognisable when you purchase. I think in six months, Socket 2011 will be worth looking at again.

Looking, waiting, mmm, looking. . . . Been there, done that, on countless occasions. For you build, I would be asking myself, does it really need to be faster, will I need voice recognition, better integrated graphics. Are there bottlenecks in my build, could my software use a RAID Setup. There is always going to be better tech, just a couple of months away, at sometime you have to take the plunge, then be happy.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi iammykyl,
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that there is always something new and perhaps better two months down the road. I was not going to wait but as Heswall is going to be a completely new architecture and that the I7 / i5 if not being phased out, are being replaced with something completely different I thought what the heck a few more months wont hurt. I am definitely not going to delay once I know the cost of the new CPU's and motherboard I can either afford them as soon as they come to market or not- if not tough, as said I will order sticking to my current list.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi iammykyl and phillpower2,
Whilst waiting for Haswell to make an appearance I have continued to look around at what others are doing who want similar set up to mine. A number of people who are purchasing stand alone good quality graphics cards have gone for the Intel Xeon processor. On checking them out there are a number of Xeon with the same specs as the i7 without the graphics imbedded. It is thought that they are more stable and come in at a cheaper price.
There are a number I like that are socket 1155 the same as the i7 so I would not have to change my choice motherboard or RAM
I would be interested in your thoughts and comments.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Worth a look but expensive compared to a 3570k IMO http://www.amazon.co.../?tag=pcpapi-20 3570k http://www.microcent..._1155_Processor

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi phillpower2,
Thanks for your reply. I have found a Xeon Ivy Bridge Quad Core 3.5GH just a little more than the i7 - £2 ($3.19) for the i7 retail, or, £6 ($9.56) for the OEM, or Xeon 3.4GH for £50 ($79.71) less.
It is not so much the money it is compatibility with the motherboard. On the Asus site for the motherboard I want P7Z77 it states that Intel? Xeon? Processor Family is designed for servers. Some features may not support when installed on Z77 chipsets. For more details, refer to ASUS support site at http://support.asus.com. This is also mentioned by individuals commenting in different forums. However I have been unable to find anything on "support.asus.com" nor have I seen any reports of anyone trying it and failing. I have seen a few reports of people having success with this combination one of which is on
Http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/309480-12-asus-p8z77-deluxe-support-xeon-memory

I have looked at their workstation motherboards and only one is within the price range of the P8Z77, all the others are way above it. In addition the specs are not as good i.e. they have lots of USB 2 slots but minimal USB 3, so am not considering these motherboards.
Unfortunately I have not seen enough good reports to make me feel confident of the match I am proposing at this moment in time. If I had the confidence I would certainly go down this route and forget the i7 / Haswall route, but I do not want to end up with a miss match, have a processor I can not use wasting £255 ($406.50) then having to buy an i7 and regretting it in 5 months time, when Haswall arrives and is worth the wait and money.
Don't get me wrong I am not dogmatic about getting the Haswall, if it was just a step up in the "i" series I would not bother. It is because it is from what I can ascertain, a completely new architecture which Intel are going down leaving the "i" series to fade away over time. However if it is more than what I am prepared to pay, (or if the combination of the processor and new motherboard that it will require is more than I am prepared to pay) I will go with the i7, but at least I would have the knowledge that I did consider it and it was not for me. After all I have waited a year now to build up my finances and another 5 months will not hurt.