Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Are my hardware choices compatable and do the job

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Yes the Xeon CPU is intended for workstations and servers.

Features that may not be supported include the MBs integrated graphics ports and some specifications of Ram, a Xeon on your MBs QVL (if you are still going with this MB btw) http://www.scan.co.u...google shopping

Gday iammykyl :wave:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi Phillpower2.
We must be reading the same topics on the Xeon. I think I would rather have IGP in case of GPU failure. Looks like finding suitable RAM could be a nightmare, Being locked limited OC, (only through BCLk) should you realize you need it for some reason.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi iammykyl

Yes I agree as one bad update being installed that you are not even aware of could leave you with no video, regarding the Ram - when spending a large amount of cash on a new build your options should not be restricted as it basically cancels out any future upgrade potential.

NB: Yes it would appear we are reading the same hymn sheet :D

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi phillpower2 and iammykyl
Thanks for your input - I am very pleased I ran this past you before proceeding. I will not be going down the Xeon route.
I will stick to the P8Z77 motherboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Wise decision IMO and you are welcome MickJJ :thumbsup:

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have decided I can not wait so I have started purchasing the following components.

Case Fractal Design R4 ATX with
An additional two Alaska Apache fans and a Star Tech exhaust blower

Power Unit Corsair Professional 750

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V-Pro
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 Ivy Bridge

Nvida Geforce GTX 660Ti
Interestingly I had a lot of comments and feed back to which graphics card to get.
From what I learned from watching a number of people building video editing computer on Utube the graphics card should be 2 GB, 256 bit and 1536 or over cores. This spec. took it out of the Quadro 2000 into Quadro 4000, too expensive for my liking. Nivada "help me choose a Graphic Card" identified the GTX680 and the GTX690. The 690 was in the same price bracket as the 4000 so I opted for the 680. On video editing forums and graphics card forums some thought this is still going over the top (others supported me) One guy became very distressed that I was spending over £30 / £50 but many of the doubters identified around the £150 mark or GTX660 / 650. In the end I have gone for the GTX660Ti as its spec was near to what the video builders supported but is a lot cheaper than the 680.

Memory RAM GSkill 16GB

Internal SSD Hard Drive Corsair 240 GB
Internal WD 1 GB Raptor
External WD My Book 2 GB already have as an automatic back up drive and will transfer to this set up as its back up.

Blu Ray Pioneer BDR-208

Asus PB278Q 27" PLS monitor

I already have an all in one Canon Pixma MP600R printer. It is very good

Software
Kasperskey 2013 Internet Security

Windows 8 Professional
Microsoft Office Home and Student only have this for back ground needs of other applications that use various parts of it.
Lotus SmartSuite Millennium I always use this for word processing, spreadsheet etc.

Serif Page Plus X6
Serif Photo Plus X6
Editing Pinnacle 16 Ultimate Collection

Blu Ray player Cyberlink Power DVD 12
Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper Ultimate.

Edited by MickJJ, 27 January 2013 - 03:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
A well balanced list of parts MickJJ and adding the additional cooling is a nice touch :thumbsup:

A 256-bit video card would have been better but the 192-bit GTX660Ti will also fulfill your requirements.

iammykyl is better fixed to advise on the software but I can recommend Cyberlink Power DVD 12 as it is what I use and find very good, it is also on special offer at the moment Pro http://www.amazon.co...7P24AC2KQFCRKSM Uitra http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_cp_sw_h__0

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Yes, a good build, similar to one I am starting soon, Would be interesting to compare results as I will be using a GTX 670.
Take anti static measure by with a wrist strap like this, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899261005 And very useful to include in the build, an internal system speaker like this, http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

Software.
I have in the past paid for most of the software I used but no longer, except for Sony Vegas Pro. Unless you really specialize, ie, professional photo, I go free.

Windows 7 security is very good today. sensible behaviour on the web is still needed regardless of any software on the computer.

Some I use.
OpenOffice.Org.
Comodo
ImgBurn.
Paragon Partition Manager.
Google Chrome.
Revo Uninstaller.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi iammykyl,
Thank you for your reply. It amused me that you are going for the GTX670 because after phillpower2's reply I went over all the different advice / recommendations and decided to up the GTX 660Ti to the GTX 670. I am going for the 2GB option not the 4.

I have ordered and got the software.
I am awaiting the arrival of the motherboard, SSD drive and the RAM. I have got these via Amazon as they were a lot cheaper with no postage. Unfortunately I had difficulty tracking down the RAM I wanted and that is coming from Germany - delivery date Jan 31st - Feb 19th.
The rest I am getting from Scan Computers. Not only were they the cheapest but they also offer a 28 day warranty (at extra cost) which covers you for the first 28 days if something goes wrong or you break a component during the build phase. (this is in addition to the normal warranty) As the warranty starts on day of delivery I am waiting the arrival of all the other hardware before ordering.
It would just be my luck to order now, to find that the ram comes just outside the 28 days.
Scan does not sell GSkill it appears only to stock Corsair.

I will look into the speaker you mentioned.

If I may, I would like to ask a final question of you and phillpower2. The processor I have bought is a retail one with its own heat sink and fan. I did look at buying a OEM version and adding a fan as a separate purchase. However the sites I went to (UK) either did not stock or were out of stock of the OEM version and the fan I was going for was not sold and even the maker had none in stock Artic i30CO Will the supplied fan be up to the job, or should I consider getting another fan? I have heard that doing this with a retail processor null and voids the warranty.

Hopefully my next reply will be letting people know that the rig has been built and running like a dream

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
You are correct regarding using an aftermarket cooler with a retail CPU which is supplied with all that you need and is covered by a three year Intel warranty.

OEM CPUs which are not supplied with the stock heatsink and fan that has been tested and approved by Intel are not covered by an Intel warranty, the CPU is covered by a warranty that is provided by the merchant and great care must be taken as these warranties can be as short as 90 days but are typically for a period of one year.

The stock heatsink and fans are tested over and above the normal operating temperatures of the CPU and only overclocking the CPU will normally exceed this.

Overclockers will commonly purchase OEM CPUs as they will often use aftermarket coolers and liquid cooling systems as they expect the CPU to run a lot hotter than when in everyday use, Intel recognize this and now offer an additional type of warranty for overclockers http://www.pcpro.co....or-overclockers link courtesy of iammyky in a previous topic

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

MickJJ The processor I have bought is a retail one with its own heat sink and fan.

phillpower2The stock heat-sink and fans are tested over and above the normal operating temperatures of the CPU

I would always advise using he stock cooler first, and if proves not satisfactory for how you use the computer, then install an after-market one.
The heat-sink comes with a pre applied thermal pad, you can if you wish remove this and use your own thermal paste, in most cases will lower temps by 2 to 4 degrees.

While waiting for parts, download the Mobo user manual from the manufacturers site, this is sometimes more up to date than the one you receive in the box, it will also enable you to familiarize yourself with the product.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have at long last got all my computer components and put them together but unfortunately it is not booting up

The computer continually powers up and then dies and then powers up again and then dies etc.
I have tried it with each in turn and both together disconnecting the hard drives.
I have tried it after disconnecting the fans other than the CPU fan
I have tried it with the Blu ray player disconnected.
I have tried it with the graphics card disconnected

None of the above changed any thing.

The CPU motherboard LED is continually showing red. According to the motherboard user guide " If an error is found, the LED next to the device will continue lighting until the problem is solved" After I read this I took out the CPU and fan and reinstalled them to no avail.

I would be very grateful if you could advise me of any possible reasons / solutions that I can try to resolve this problem.

In addition I was wondering if there was any particular configuration I should be wiring the leads from the devices to the power unit. There was no information regarding this so I just matched leads end to devices and plugged in the other to a suitable free slot i.e. 4 pin into a 4 connector slot and a 3 pin to a 3 connector slot. With the exception to one 4 pin lead all the others are on the bottom rung as the top comprised of all 4 slot connections.

My set up is
Case Fractal Design R4 ATX with
An additional three Alaska Apache fans (two 140 & 120) and a Star Tech exhaust blower

Power Unit Corsair AX 750

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V-Pro
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 Ivy Bridge

Asus Nvida Geforce GTX 670
Memory RAM GSkill 16GB

Internal SSD Hard Drive Corsair 240 GB
Internal WD 1 GB Raptor

Blu Ray Pioneer BDR-208
As I have not got past staying switched on I have obviously not got any software, external hard drive, printer etc. set up / installed.

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.
Kind regards MickJJ

Hi it is 07:00 on Sunday 24th and I have just had another go at getting the computer going with no luck. However I have I have discovered that 3 of the CPU / chassis fan connectors are not working. Two are and I have tried the fans in these two and they are ok, so I am wondering if the fault is the motherboard.

Edited by MickJJ, 24 February 2013 - 01:03 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Sorry to hear you have a hiccup at start. reminder. Always turn off the power and take anti static measures when working on the computer or handling parts.

After I read this I took out the CPU and fan and reinstalled them to no avail.

1. Did you clean the old TIM off both the CPU and heat-sink, then apply fresh TIM?

2. Do you have 2 cables connect from the PSU to the Motherboard.
the large 24 pin EATX and the 8 pin EATX12V (the 8 pin fits top left of the board.

3. Are you 100% sure, that before you fitted the Motherboard, you checked the pattern and number of stand-offs on the motherboard mounting plate, must match the pattern and number of screw holes on the Motherboard, no extra ones. This could be where there is a short, preventing POST.
If you answered no to question 1 or 3, please reply,

If you answered yes to Questions 1 & 3, and can connect the correct cable then please do the following.

Remove the video card, Q Connector, (you can leave the wires to the front connectors in place . any components you installed to do with the WiFi GO. all other cables except the CPU fan plug, this should be connected the CPU fan header on the Mobo.

You should now have 2 cables to the Mobo, the CPU fan plug, RAM, (ensure it is in the correct slots, firmly installed with both clips at each end of the sticks fully engaged.)
Check that the EPU and TPU switches are in the off position.
Check that the Jumper on the CLRTC socket is on pins 1 &2 see chapter 2 page 17.

Turn on the PSU switch, A red light should appear on the Mobo. With a small balded screwdriver, briefly short out the power on pins on the System Panel Connector Block. see Chapter 2 Page 26.

The PSU and CPU fans should spin up. The CPU and RAM indicator lights should remain off, Please post the results, what lights do you now see on the board?

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi iammykyl
Thank you for getting back to me.
I had not put the second power cable in - only the 24 pin one. I also had to change the slots I had put my ram into. All is working well and I have just finished installing Windows 8.

No I did not clean and re past the CPU / fan when I re set it as I literally only lifted up and put back down and made sure that the connections were well fitting. On reflection I see that I should have made a new clean connection. Would it be advisable to do it now or let sleeping dogs lie now it is working. I did not replace the original paste as I was installing a retail CPU and fan.

As soon as I have installed all the other hard ware and software I will post my complete configuration and added comments in the hope that it will help others.

Once again very many thanks to you and phillpower2 for all the help, advice and support you have given me over the past year (April 2012) when I first posted about building an AMD setup. I certainly would not have had such a good setup as the one I now have.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hello MickJJ

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

It is a common oversight not connecting the 4 or 8 pin 12V ATX power supply and fortunately the only harm done in most cases is a red face when we realise :D

It is always advisable to renew the thermal paste if the heatsink is removed after the computer has been in use, this is because when the paste gets hot it thins out and fills in any imperfections in the mating surfaces between the CPU and heatsink, once it cools it acts like a bond between the two as it cures, hence the reason why it is advisable to run the computer for a while to soften the paste if you need to remove the heatsink for some reason.

You are welcome BTW and I am certain that iammykyl will return to also wish you well.