Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are my hardware choices compatable and do the job

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the oversight and input Phillpower2.

A big congratulations Mickjj, Posted ImagePosted Image

When you have windows installed and fully updated, updated your drivers, your firewall set, windows or third party and anti virus running, You should then (before adding other programs) use the built in windows tools to make a drive image and recovery disk/s.
Please do not use the following as they usually do more damage than good and can cost you $$. Reg cleaners and Optimizers, any that promise to fixycomputer, We can give you a list of some tools we use, if you want.

Re Phillpowers2's TIM comments. You should in the near future do a clean up band reinstall of the cooler, say when and we will give some directions.

Good luck.

Advertisements

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks iammykyl.

I would be grateful for a list of tools you use as my Pareto Logic PC health Check is due for renewal March 5th.

I was thinking of cleaning up the cooler tomorrow - Monday 25th. (it is now 23:29 Sunday 24th herein the UK) I was planning for around mid day, as I think I will be half way to inputting all the software and the processor / cooler should be warmed up by then - taking on board what phillpower2 said about having a warm processor, before trying to remove and clean up old thermal compound.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK. The computer only needs to run for about 10 minutes and you must still be careful not to burn yourself on the CPU top or plate of the cooler.
This is the TIM I use, it has no metal content so is electrically non conductive so if some gets in the wrong place, it will not cause a short.
> http://www.arctic.ac...4g-und-20g.html
For cleaning, you can use a kit like this, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010 or isopropyl alcohol. No not use nail varnish remover, or any Petrol based fluids.
Some Q tips and paper kitchen towel or paper coffee filter.

warm up the computer, > switch off, remove all external cables, > lay the computer side down on a flat surface covered with a towel/sheet/newspaper. > open the case, > read your user manual open at the installation/removal of the CPU, take note if the stock cooler has been used , the locking pins must be reset, > take anti static measures, > disconnect the CPU fan, > remove the cooler and set aside.

Cleaning, Do not remove the CPU from the socket. I use my fingernail to remove the worst of the TIM then, wet the Q tip with cleaning fluid, blot on the kitchen towel so you do not flood the CPU socket, rub on the TIM, changing the Q tip as needed, finally wipe with paper tower or coffee filter.
Do the same for the heat sin base.
Apply the TIM as per the instruction sheet.
Install the cooler.
attach the CPU fan cable.
check over the rest of the wiring to make sure everything is still plugged in properly.
Stand up the case, connect the PSU, start the computer, check that all the fans are working. switch off, disconnect the PSU, put the side panel back on. put back the computer and connect everything.
switch on and monitor the temps.

Any questions?

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi iammykyl,
All done just have to check temps against good practice.
I have had a few issues with the mouse and keyboard - even after updating the drivers the keyboard was missing letter / numbers if going too quick. Started off ok but gradually over the day it got slower or missed every third / fourth one tapped in.
Now that I have gone over again all the drivers / set up disks belonging to the components it is better. This posting written at the end of the day has not given any problem.

My Raptor HD never started to work (DOA) so have asked for a replacement. Not too much of a problem, as I as I am using it for working files, photos, music etc. All my program's I have loaded on to my SSD drive.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update. Great you had success, it was the right time to do the job.
Not used W8 yet, but check you have your correct region and language set correctly, then check you have language and keyboard set correctly.
Pain with the Raptor, least it did not stop you getting up and going. If, or when, You decide to add additional drives, let us know.
Remember to do the drive image and recovery disks.
When you have a complete build, would be very interested in what you think of the performance, as my build will be similar, but not yet started.

Thanks.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi phillpower2 and iammykyl
Thank you both once again for all your help, advice and guidance.
I expect that unless I need further guidance in the near future this will be my last communication for some time. However I will continue to visit the site regularly as it is a really good source of information and ideas which one can take on even if the topic is that of others.

I am now the proud owner of a new computer and software set up. All is working well and is significantly better in performance (on all fronts) to my last computer.

My system
Case Fractal Design R4 ATX
I have added 2 x 140 cm fans, 1 x 120 fan and an Akasa system blower
Power Unit Cosair AX760
Motherboard Asus P8Z77 V Pro Ivy Bridge
CPU Intel i7 3770K 3.5GH Ivy Bridge
GPU GeForce GTX 670 *
Memory G.Skill Ripjaw 1860 MHZ 16 GB (2* 8 GB) **** A sorry tale.
Hard Drive Cosair 240GT (for all programs) and a WD 1 TB Raptor (for files)Should the need arise I will add extra drives but am not expecting to have too.
Blue Ray Pioneer BDR-208DBK (does not come with any software, which I knew before purchase)

Monitor Asus PB278Q 27" PLS Led **

Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000

Headphones Audio-technica ATH-M50 ***
Already had Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers

Already had.
WD My Book Essential 1 TB external hard drive. Used as my automatic continuous back up system. I am thinking of replacing it with a 4TB one.
Dymo Label Writer
Canon MP600R wireless all in one printer

Separate Software to that supplied with hardware.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor

Windows 8 Professional 64bit

CyberLink Power DVD 12 Ultra (a collection of programs - saves on buying individually)
Aisesoft Blu-ray Ripper Ultimate (a collection of programs - saves on buying individually)

Serif PagePlus X6 - desk top publishing
Serif PhotoPlus X6

Pinnacle Studio 16 Ultimate Collection. Whilst this is a genuine set of Video Editing programs put together by Pinnacle they do not sell the Ultimate Collection on their web site - got it via Amazon They do however sell Studio 16 Ultimate. I originally was going for Avid Studio but they seem to have stopped producing a complete video editing package - all are sold as separate programs.

Lotus SmartSuite 9.8
Microsoft Office 2010

Further Information for those interested in my thought process regarding my purchases.

* Originally I was going for Quadro 2000 but changed my mind.
At the time some sources were saying that Quadro was dated technology. The 2000 did not have the specs most people say you need for Video Editing i.e. 2 GB, 256 bit and 1536 or over cores This took me into the 4000 series far to pricey for me and way above what I needed.
Nivada "help me choose a Graphic Card" identified the GTX600 series as the GPU to go for. To cover the specs recommended it had to be the GeForce 680 or 690. The 690 was about the same price as the 4000.
Many Home Video Editing build computers were recommending or putting in the GeForce 660 which is slightly under the specs. mentioned. I was looking at following their lead but, phillpower2 mentioned that I may be better off upgrading to one that had 256 bit. The 670 was the first one to match that specs. At one time I looked at and after phillpower2 comments I reconsidered the 680 but decided against it. This was due to the escalating cost of components as time went on during the purchase process which took me by then to "do I really need this level of spec as against OK I will go for that regardless of cost." I also looked at again what I had gleaned from graphics / editing forums and what people were actually putting into their machines The main difference between the 670 and the 680 being the engine specs 1344 cuda cores (670) to 1536 (680) all other specs appear to be the same. Whilst the recommendations was to try and go for 1536 is the extra 192 cores worth an extra £80 / £90 ($120.69 / 135.78) for a non professional using it for home video editing only - no games usage.Hopefully I have not made a ghastly mistake I do not think so but only time will tell.

** For video editing it is recommended to get an IPS monitor. The Asus PB278Q is in their IPS range, but they have changed it to PLS - just another version of IPS. Below the 27 inch are all IPS.

*** These are closed headphones. I chose these so that I can listen to music etc. without disturbing others. Open back headphones are better for music reproduction but they leak sound and any one near by can hear what you are listening to.

**** A sorry tale
Ordered the RAM memory on Friday 25th Jan 2013 from PresiCompany in Germany via Amazon. ( I could not find a supplier from the 4 firms + Amazon I was using to price compare my components) Delivery date 30th January - 19th February 2013. Monday 28th January I got an e-mail saying that it had been dispatched - delivery date 19th February by 21:00hrs.
I e-mailed the firm on the 4th February asking why it was going to take so long to travel from Germany to me - 2 hrs by plane or 7 hrs by road & ferry. They e-mailed me back stating that it had arrived by DHL and gave a tracking number. When I tracked it showed that the item was in the UK on the 30th and delivered on the 31st, but to whom. I contacted DHL they knew nothing about it and the tracking number was not used by them - too long. I explained about the trace I had made via Deutsche Post DHL. They informed me that another firm Yodel dealt with that branch of DHL. I contacted Yodel who also knew nothing about it and again the tracking number was too long. I contacted PresiCompany with this information and requested they looked into it and get back to me. No reply or acknowledgment of my e-mail (it was sent as a reply feature of their e-mail to me)
19th Feb. 21:00 hrs came and went. Item did not appear and no information or reply from PresiCompany to either myself or Amazon. I did buy the RAM from another source in the UK.
I requested my money back from PresiCompany. I then got a reply identifying Parcel Force as the courier (not DHL which they repeatedly stated was the courier) and a tracking number. It was at my local post office since the 31st Jan - which I find hard to accept as it is only a small sub post office at the back of a Tesco corner shop. I ,via Amazon, told PresiCompany to arrange for it to be returned to them and to give me back my money. On Wednesday 6th March Parcel Force delivered the item to my address. According to the note on the box they had it on the 30th Jan and this was the first delivery attempt. I sent it back to PresiCompany on Thursday 7th March at a cost of £21:60p to myself. Lets hope it gets back to the company quicker than it got to me and they reimburse me the cost of the item. I have asked for postage costs but I doubt if I will ever see that.
On Thursday 14th March my account showed that Amazon Market Place had refunded me the cost of the RAM, but as expected nothing was given against the return delivery cost.
The sad part about this sorry tale is that had PresiCompany acknowledged and replied to my e-mail of the 4th February with the details that it was not DHL delivering but Parcel Force and their tracking number (as they did on the 27th February), all this could have been sorted by 8th February some 4 / 5 weeks ago.

Edited by MickJJ, 16 March 2013 - 09:44 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday MickJJ.
Thank you for the follow up, it is very much appreciated.

I am happy that you are happy with the performance of the build. very frustrating events with the RAM, I hope you gave both the vendor and shipping company a good serve.

If you need us, "just whistle"

Good luck.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Ditto to what iammyky has said :thumbsup:

Good call on the video card BTW - enjoy ;)