Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to System Restore with ISO files?

• Please log in to reply

flyingdumbbells

flyingdumbbells

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi when i got my laptop i created a restore point with ISO files. I saved them in the Windows folder but not in a single folder.

So i have 5 CD ISO files and some random other files there.

I am wondering what i need to do to use these files to carry out my restore?

Please if someone could get back to me quick as i would like to do this soon.

Regards,

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
ISO files need to be burnt to a CD. Get Free Iso Burner and a package of blank CDs (the cheap write once type will do.). Insert a blank CD in your CD burner and Run Free Iso Burner and point it at one of the iso files. Should be pretty simple to make CDs of your files. Keep track of which is which. Normally I would expect you would boot off the first one and insert the others when it tells you.

flyingdumbbells

flyingdumbbells

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So i

1. get the burner, burn files to disc
2. Insert CD and click on files, whilst at normal desktop screen?

Edited by flyingdumbbells, 14 April 2012 - 11:00 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't understand what you mean when you say you created a restore point with ISO files? Please explain exactly what you did, step by step if possible.

An iso file is a binary image of a CD or DVD so I'm not sure how you got from a restore point to an iso file.

To use a restore point, you need to put it back where it was originally. That's the only place System Restore will look for it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since it is a laptop there should be a recovery partition that can be utilized to restore the system back to factory settings.
Hopefully by ISO you mean a set of recovery disks as most manufacturers instruct you to do on a new system anymore.

flyingdumbbells

flyingdumbbells

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hmmmm i am not sure. When I got my laptop about a month ago it suggested i make a recovery file, so I clicked yes or accept. Then i saved it and it came out as an ISO file as you can see in my attached screen shot.

should i burn these to a DVD with a free ISO burner? I am currently but do not know what to do after that.

flyingdumbbells

flyingdumbbells

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
here is the screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• pic.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see no screenshot. It does sound like what you did is correct.

should i burn these to a DVD with a free ISO burner?

Yes this will give you a media copy of your system image. What is the brand name of your laptop as we can provide the instructions on how to do a factory restore after you burn the ISO files to disks. Not before so that you are sure you have a safe copy of everything in case something happens to your hard drive because it will be the only way to get your system back up and running.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah you are going to need dvd's as those files are to big for a cd.

flyingdumbbells

flyingdumbbells

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
my laptop is an ASUS N55SL

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do not do this till you have made the 4 dvd's as you won't be able to once you do the factory restore.

Asus:

You can use it from a special hidden partition on the hard drive by pressing F9 at system startup

flyingdumbbells

flyingdumbbells

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for your help. I will make the 5 DVD's first.

So to confirm, I will get a factory restore by restarting pressing f9 and then I guess following a few steps?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes this will return your system to the same exact state it was when you first bought it. All drivers, programs and even the OS will be installed as if it was brand new. :thumbsup:

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I see I left out the link:

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

I suggested Free Iso Burner because it eliminates the possibility of just copying the files to a disk. You can use another burner software if you know how to burn an image.

and as rshaffer61 mentioned you will need DVDs as your ISO files are too big and you will need to boot from the disk CD1 (not run it from Windows).

Once you do reload it to factory you need to immediately do a manual Windows Update from the Control Panel (several times until it says you don't need any) before trying to use the PC for any other purpose as you will be months or years behind in security updates and very vulnerable until you get all of the updates.

Ron

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a added precaution unless you are just doing the Microsoft updates please do not visit any other sites till you have a good AV installed.
We recommend either Avast or MSE most of the time. I am including links to both below.

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.