Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to System Restore with ISO files?

• Please log in to reply

flyingdumbbells

flyingdumbbells

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks again guys, yep using DVDs, I will have to do my restore tomorrow morning now.

Downloaded the freeisoburner as well, I'll have a check of those free anti virus programmes. Been using free AVG for years though, are they better in comparison?

wondering as well why some people format and uninstall windows then if you can just easily restore your laptop or pc back quicker doing it the f9 way?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Downloaded the freeisoburner as well, I'll have a check of those free anti virus programmes. Been using free AVG for years though, are they better in comparison?

Yes in the way that they use a lot less system resources which could slow your system down over time.

wondering as well why some people format and uninstall windows then if you can just easily restore your laptop or pc back quicker doing it the f9 way?

Older systems don't have the recovery partition on them and they may have lost their recovery disks. Remember if it is worth backing up it is worth making multiple copies just in case.
Different manufacturers have different ways to get to the recovery partition. If the system has been formatted they may have accidentally removed the recovery partition without knowing it. This makes recovering the laptop harder without it or backup disks like you are making now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am confused.
I do not know if it is just me but

1. Here are the instructions for you computer restore or recovery
http://support.asus....a&os=30&no=1775

2. The DVD`s should of course have BEEN made, as there purpose is to use when windows will not load. That does not mean that you cannot make them now of course, as explained to you by my colleagues, but I simply mention it for your future information

3. As windows does load, as you sent the screenshot and you have Windows 7 Home Premium, WHY are you thinking of a complete recovery either to the factory condtion using the recovery partition OR indeed to the condtion it was when you created those DVDs, as you will still lose everything, that was installed since, unless you backup first.

4. As I see it the 1000$ question is what is it that makes you think that a restore or indeed recovery is necessary.

5. Generally speaking, depending on the problem you perceive, you can solve it without the need to take this rather desperate and final step

6. If you see the reason as something that you have not yet told us about, eg some crashes, hangs etc, then on a laptop that is so NEW, the best course may indeed not even be your proposed action.

AND even if you do proceed be extremely CAREFUL as presumably you do not wish to delete the Partition lettered D, as that appears to contain your data.
INFO obtained from your screenshot on your post 7.

AND

basically, using the installed recovery partition is effectively, with slight differences, the same as formatting and reinstalling windows.
Apart from the options available on your laptop as explained on he link, that is in effect what you are doing.

Considering of course also the explanations already given to you by my colleague rshaffer61

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
flyingdumbbells

It is some 17 days since you posted, commenting that you would try the system restore the next day - the 16 April

Would you please update the topic and let us know how you progressed.

Thanks