Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to view PC files through Tv on wireless home network

• Please log in to reply

Kat23

Kat23

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Trying to access pc files from tv. Wireless connection is OK, can view both home computers in the WORKGROUP area but when I enter the network user id and password - nothing. I've checked the files permissions on the pc and they are set to everyone, checked the setting in the workgroup settings on the pc and they are set to allow viewing editing etc.. This may be a stupid question but I would like to confirm if the net user id and password is the same as what I use to log into the pc to start with? Any advise would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Kat :wacko:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Kat23...

If you are trying to use the username and password that you use to log in to Windows when you start your machine, then no...you are using the wrong log in information.

Open "Control Panel", then open "Network and Sharing Center". On the left side of the Network and Sharing window, click on the link to "Manage wireless networks". In the next window, right click on the wireless network you are trying to access and choose "Properties". Under the General tab, you should see your network ID listed as "Name" or "SSID"...use this as your network username. Under the Security tab, your network security key is listed. If it shows as a series of dots, tick the checkbox to "Show Characters". This is the key you use to access the wireless network.

Hope this helps.

wannabe1

Kat23

Kat23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi wannabe1

Thanks for your reply. I've tried entering the SSID and password details as suggested but this hasn't worked either. I'm able to view YouTube etc.. so the internet connection is OK. I'm not sure what else to check or modify on my PC I assume the problem must be with that access?? Plus I've re-checked the "Step-by-step" Guide that came with the digital recorder again incase I missed something and found this "If you want to access content from PCs or DLNA servers, this recorder must be connected to same local area network via a wireless network device".

I'm using the LAN adapter which was provided, the digital recorder and tv are using the wireless, the PC is connected directly by network cable - all via the same router. Could this be the issue that one device is using wireless and the PC is network cable?

Kat