Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network issues with 'Play On'

• Please log in to reply

jaxin326

jaxin326

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello all,

Since building my new computer with windows 7 installed, I have been having networking issues that I have been trying to resolve with no success. If anyone is familiar with Playon, it would be much appreciated if they could help. Playon is similar to hulu, you download it onto your computer and use another device (i.e Playstation 3) to stream shows through.

My previous home computer was installed with vista, but the current one is installed with Windows 7. The playstation and computer connect to each other and I am able to see playon in the video option as well as it loads all of the videos quite easily, but streaming the video is another issue. I have been in contact with Play On to see if perhaps it was an issue on their side just not able to work with windows 7, but with numerous logs sent to them they say that my internet has plenty of capability to run play on at max settings as well as my computer having the specs to run at max settings; for some reason, though, when I try and play a video it only plays at about 1/8 the rate that is needed for smooth playback.

My wife's laptop, that has vista installed, has play on installed and it runs just fine using her laptop but does have some slow issues every now and again because her laptop is about 4-5 years old and is why I am trying to install it on my computer so that it will run better.

The initial steps to trying to fix the issue was to deactivate my anti-virus (AVAST) and windows firewall to see if the new firewall in win7 was causing issues, but I went to windows security and disabled the firewall and nothing happened as well as trying to remove the AVAST i had installed.

My computer details are at this link in your forums. I really am lost as to what else I can try. The network we have is through optimum and my computer direct connected to the modem is running at a little over 15mbps and the PS3 (as well as the wife's laptop) is wirelessly connected through our netgear router and it shows on the PS3 that it is at about 9.5mbps. According to Playon this is plenty of speed to run at a high video setting on play on. I have tried from low setting to max setting and the very glitchy playback is the same on both. I can start the video and it takes 3-4 times longer to start than through the wife's laptop and when it plays, it streams video for a couple seconds and then freezes and then a few more seconds of video and then freezes.

Is there anyone that has an idea of what windows 7 may be doing to stop the video from streaming correctly.

PS sorry for the long post I just wanted to let everyone know what I have done so far to try and resolve this issue.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by jaxin326, 15 April 2012 - 10:18 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
let me start with ...this is not a area of my expertise

my computer direct connected to the modem is running at a little over 15mbps

but have you tried connecting your computer to the router

jaxin326

jaxin326

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
No such luck, still continues to do the same thing

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will probably get better help in the networking or application forums...try posting there