Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get new build to post

• Please log in to reply

mteezey

mteezey

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm in the process of building my first rig. I purchased a NVIDIA 650i ultra motherboard and a Intel core 2 duo processor. And four sticks of 1gb ddr2 ocz pc 4200 ram. I have a 750w power supply. And a NVIDIA quadro fx 1400 graphics card. I got everything put together and when I boot I get no signal to my monitor. I'm not sure if its a graphics card issue or if there is some other reason why I cant get a signal to the monitor. I have tried each stick of memory in slot 0 one by one even tried without any to see if I could get it to post but I'm getting nowhere. If someone could help me that would be great I am a total noob to this and thought I could build a decent pc for cheaper by going this route. Tia.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: mteezey

Have you connected both the 24 pin main power connection and the 4 pin 12V ATX connection to the MB?
Did you do a bare-bones set-up outside of the case first to test all components "how to" below;

First remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try a new or replacement CMOS battery.

See attached .jpeg for an example header on the MB showing the the pwr sw pins to short to activate the PSU and MB.

mteezey

mteezey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the quick response. I've tested all the components even tried two graphics cards but both same model. I'm going to try to find someone with a regular card like you stated above. I'm almost wondering if it could be a setting on my monitor not detecting that ytype of signal. I only have one monitor to test with. Everything seems to be powering on. No funny noises. Fans come on. I can hear the processor power up. Fan also comes on on the graphics card. So I guess I'm down to switching to the other type of card and hoping I can get a signal to at least post and go from there.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
An Internal mini speaker would help to indicate your problem by giving an audible beep or series of beeps. Your local PC shop or Tandy store may have one or recycle from an old computer.'

http://cwc-group.com/8ohm.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The MB is listed as accepting DDR2 800MHz Ram which is PC2-6400 but you have said your Ram is PC-4200 which is only 533MHz which would be incompatible with the MB, please confirm that the MB at the link below is the same as yours;
MB specs http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188017
Ram table http://en.wikipedia....wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
One other point that may be worthy of your consideration, if you cannot readily obtain another graphics card is your connection to the monitor from the computer
That graphics card has only DVI connections, what is the monitor connection., and which conversion adaptor are you using if such is necessary

Also you never actually specifically answered the question - are you sure all connections are right.
[attachment=57253:13-188-017-04.jpg]

Have you, as phillpower2, asked connected the 4 pin from the psu to the motherboard for the CPU

mteezey

mteezey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The monitor has both dvi and vga connections. I am using a dvi cable. Is it possible there is a setting on monitor? Or maybe try a converter for the vga connection. I don't have access to anything as none of my friends or family are into this sort of thing. I do however have all the power connections connected ie; 4pin atx and 24pin and made sure power for CPU was connected to mobo. Also double checked schematics and made.sure front panel was correct. I'm working on finding a graphics card to borrow or a cheap used one. Thanks ill update upon trying another card.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would not have thought it was a setting on the monitor, as I would have expected that to cause distorted graphics rather than NO post screen at all

Is this your first ever build?

I would suspect in the folowing order

1. Have you connected POWER to the graphics card, I think that Fx1400 has a direct power connection from the PSU

2. . Incorrect placing of CPU did you ensure mark on CPU matched mark on CPU socket

mteezey

mteezey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have not checked the placement on CPU as it was a mobo processor combo. I will check that. This is my very first build. Is there any special instructions on taking the cooler off? I've been really busy the past couple days I finally have a day off so gonna take another stab at it. Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
DO NOT remove it, if it was supplied as a preinstalled CPU etc in a bundle, it will be OK - or even if it proves we cannot solve it, you removing it will jeopardize any claim.

Advertisements

mteezey

mteezey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok well I bought it second hand and took it back to the person I purchased it from. Which he put it together and he took it apart after us going through the steps to troubleshoot. Upon pulling apart we.found out he gave me a Intel pentium 4 that was one of two prototypes. It said Intel classified on top of the chip. Wish I wasn't a noob I would of known what I had. Well ended up replacing the chip and got it.to post so it should be smooth sailinf from here. I hope:lol:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The main thing is that you have got it working.

We can solve many problems on Geeeks to Go, but I think we may have struggled to solve that one. - not knowing until NOW of course that it was second hand.

Good luck with it

I know that my colleagues would wish to convey the same as well. In case they do not get chance to get post while you are still subscribed to the thread.

We do not close topics on Geeks to Go, so if you have any problems just post back on this topic - relating of course to the new build.

mteezey

mteezey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks will do. I may need some instruction when I purchase a new hard drive depending on how I want to set up since I already have Windows on my hard drive now i may just use second one for storage. I do have one additional question that i cannot seem to find the exact answer to. About the core 2 quad processor does this actually have four cores or is it two split up into two each? Just curious because of the hyperthreading. Thanks again for the help

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will leave my colleague iammykyl to answer that regarding the processor - he is something of a expert on systems and will I am sure provide all the information you could need.

In respect of the new hard drive, there is in my opinion, merit in having the drive partitioned, so that the Operating System, is kept separate from your personal data.
I indeed have this drive - a 500Gb on Win 7 professional - four partitions
1. Win 7
2. Win XP ( I am NOT suggesting you would want to do this - I only have it that way so that when I get an XP assistance request on here, it is easy to refer to or send a screneshot.)
3. My personal files of docs etc.
4. Programs

How you manage the installation on your present drive and the new one is of course largely dependant on the capacity of the existing drive and that of the new one AND of course the age of the existing drive and perhaps most importantly, besides its specifications - its perceived health state.
If for instance any bad sectors were reported - even ONE at 512 bytes, then you do not want anyting on it.

When you can tell us more of your intentions and what you have and what you are buying we will be better placed to advise you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Regarding: About the core 2 quad processor does this actually have four cores or is it two split up into two each? See http://en.wikipedia....ki/Intel_Core_2 hope it answers your question.