Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No OS (Operating System Found) - Windows XP Machine

• Please log in to reply

grerdo

grerdo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello All,

I am running a Windows XP Desktop. When I turned on my system, I see the brand splash screen, then it holds for a few moments and I receive the message "No Operating System Found. Please click any key to try again." The system had been working earlier today and I have not made any changes. Please help.

Thank You for your assistance.

Edited by grerdo, 16 April 2012 - 12:09 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi grerdo ... :wave: ..:welcome:
did you add any hardware or software recently...any software or windows updates...
can you boot into safe mode...tap the F8 key about once per second as soon as you power up...
can you get into the bios...if so does the bios see the hard drive

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Happyrock. Thank you for responding to my query.

I have not loaded any new hardware or software on the system.

As per your request, I tried F8 as soon as the computer started but it did not boot to 'safe mode'. Although it stated that it could not load hard drive, and then the same 'no operating system found..."

How does one try to get into the BIOS? If it is through either F2 or F12, that did not work either. At the very least I would look to recover some files. I will look to hear back from you.

Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please post make and FULL model of the computer if branded

On the post screen is there a key indicated for boot options , there should also be a key named for setup - ie:
Key F12 for boot options
Key F2 for setup

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Macboatmaster:

The System is a desktop - Compaq Presario 5000 Series - 5BW284. However, it is running Windows XP, upgraded 512 MB RAM etc. On the 'post screen' there is no key indication for any options.

Thanks for your help. I will look to hear back from you.

Edited by grerdo, 16 April 2012 - 03:38 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
While I look at that, please check that post screen again.
I feel reasonably certain it will say
To enter setup - or words to that effect press or key ?

F1
http://h10025.www1.h...n&product=93710

please follow the procedure firstly for a reset and then for the bios check to see if the HDD is detected.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks mac...
Turn on the computer and press the F1 key repeatedly to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.
Find the hard drive name from the listing of channels or drives. Look for a name next to Primary Master or from the channel device listing (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on). To help you find the drive name, some common examples of hard drive names are:

[MAXTOR 6Y160M0]
[SAMSUNG SV8004H]
[ST3120026AS]
[WDC WD800AB-22CB]

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Macboatmaster and Happyrock...

Here's an update, By tapping on the "delete" key,when I first start up the computer, I am able to get into the "Compaq Computer Corp. Setup Utility," (Possible their version of the Bios???) which has the following listed: "Main" - "Storage" - "Security" - Advanced" and "English." I hope this provides you some addition insight to assist me. I will write back with the info you requested. I know it is a WD HD.

Thank You.

Edited by grerdo, 16 April 2012 - 07:08 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the Storage section...

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Happyrock and MacBoatMasters and thank you for assisting me.

As per Happyrock's posting..."...Turn on the computer and press the F1 key repeatedly to enter the BIOS Setup Utility...."

I tried using the F1, F2 and F12 keys, bu they do not seem to work. Maybe this system did not utilize those "Keys" at the time? I was able to bring something up called the "Compaq Computer Corp. Setup Utility" by tapping on the "delete" key, as mentioned in an previous post and can see some similar terms listed as per MacBoatMasters link and directions from the HP website. The info I see on my system
looks to be very basic information, nothing as complex as the HP website screenshot. Thast being said, I only see one hard drive listed (western digital) which is my seconday drive that I never utilize, but I DO NOT see the main drive (I think it is a maxtor or seagate) listed, which has the OS and my documents etc.

As per MacBoatMasters..."please follow the procedure firstly for a reset and then for the bios check to see if the HDD is detected."...

I followed the directions to "Reset the Bios" - which took a couple seconds from the listing in the "Compaq Computer Corp. Setup Utility" under "Main." It didn't seem to do much, if anything (at least to my untrained eyes.) I then restarted the system, which brought me back to the Compaq splash screen (where I originally tapped on the "delete" key to bring me to the "Compaq Computer Corp. Setup Utility." I will wait to hear back from you.

Thank You.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
  • Figure 1: Example of a hard drive listed in the BIOS
Posted Image

Have you seen this screen

and if so which drives are listed.ON THAT screen - as asked by my colleague. I know you say only the WD but were you on this screen. IF SO which devices were detected, as if it was ONLY the WD and your CD drive, then your system drive from which you boot is indeed not shown.

see AGAIN please fhe link provided from HP for YOUR computer model and follow the directions for the DRIVE is listed or the DRIVE is NOT listed.

Then if it is NOT listed - follow the instructions for resetting the BIOS to default.
F5 and F10

I presume for your last you have done that, but that step was AFTER the confirmation of it NOT being seen in the BIOS

The reset referred to by me

please follow the procedure firstly for a reset and then for the bios check to see if the HDD is detected.

AND on the HP Compaq link was the reset

• Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet.
  • Reset the power: with the power cord unplugged, press and hold the power button on the front of the computer for 5 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord into the power outlet.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer and note what happens.

after disconnecting all peripheral devices.,. as on the link.

I apologise you have become confused, but can you imagine the amount of typing we would have to do if all advice was typed out rather than sent as links

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello MacBoatMaster,

No, I have not seen that screen on my system. The only screen that I am able to figure out to get to is the "Compaq Computer Corp. Setup Utility" by tapping on the "delete" key. Coulf this be the way Compaq used when this system was originally built. I remember reading a post sometime ago that Compaq had some unique ways to get to through their systems before HP came in. I would send you a screen image of the Compaq Computer Corp. Setup Utility, but no way to get to this other system, maybe someone may have posted on the web.

I will look to hear back from you for additional assistance. Thanks for helping.

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I did a quick search and came up with the following link just for an example of what I am seeing in Figure 2. Pleasew note this is not even my spec. system or language, just an example for you to see what I see.

http://h10025.www1.h...=bph07110&lc=it

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreciate what you are saying but if you look further down the page on the LINK you sent me, it explains the different screens.

All that really matters is NOT which BIOS you have and which version but are you seeing a screen that lists the drives and on that list, as I asked

and if so which drives are listed.ON THAT screen - as asked by my colleague. I know you say only the WD but were you on this screen. IF SO which devices were detected, as if it was ONLY the WD and your CD drive, then your system drive from which you boot is indeed not shown.

whether or NOT it is that particular screen, as different BIOS exhibit different screens and indeed different titles for the screens.

As well as that - what is listed - what is listed please on the boot heading

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Happyrock and MacBoatMasters,

As I was writing to you with the below information, I am thankful you clarified your question. Thanks for the clarification...the below section will possibly provide you more insight, but at the moment the only items that are listed is the 2nd HD, CD-Rom, DVD, and Floppy. No, Main HD. f you would like, I can try to get the spec. names of the items.

You will be interested in the following details...

Here's the latest update...trial and error...well, maybe more error, but getting somewhere possibly?

I followed the previous directions you had posted and although I still can not replicate the screen view of the BIOS from above, I was able to get into the "Compaq Computer Corp. Setup Utility" and under one of the topic headings I located a list of the installed items (HD, CD ROM, Floppy etc.) - my main HD with the OS and files was not listed. I also located the reset bios settings in the same area. I followed your directions and when I plugged the power cord back in the system seemed to change or at the very least tried to reset itself to the bios default.

It restarted on its own and the compaq splash screen appeared along with the Microsoft Windows XP screen with the progress bar at the bottom for a moment and then the system went into 'scanning HD for errors...? (good sign?)

It scanned for sometime to about 3% and began to load, "starting Windows XP Screen..." for an extended period of time along with mouse functionality.

The next screen that loaded was a blue screen stating...

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operations has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

If this screen appears again follow these steps: Check to make sure any hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.
Disable any BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, resrt your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options,and then select safemode.

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0xEE38E0, 0x82EE3A54, 0x805FA210)

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory."

I then allowed the system to run through but the above screen finally closed and restarted the system, which brought me back to the Compaq splash screen where I originally started and DID NOT load to windows XP OS. At that point, now knowing how to default the bios, it DID NOT show the hard drive with the OS once again.

I will look to hear back from you, since we are now have a bit more information to work with. It seems as if it wants to work though. At the very least if I can someone recover some files that would be ideal.

Thanks again.