Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No OS (Operating System Found) - Windows XP Machine

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, resrt your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options,and then select safemode.

Reboot try Safe Mode on F8

If that does not work go back to BIOS and check the time and date settings in BIOS, if they are NOT correct reset them in the BIOS and then try again on Safe Mode
When you reset the time and date, if you do have to, make sure you save the settings as you exit. Normally F10
and WHILE you are back in BIOS check again to see if the HDD is NOW recognised after the BIOS rest to defaults and ALSO from my previous post - if it is check what drive is shown as the boot device in BIOS on the Boot Heading.

The HDD does not have to be the first drive on the Boot priority but it must be listed.
IF IT IS still NOT shown in BIOS when you go back in, then the drive is not recognised and the Windows screen that appeared is there from part of the hidden recovery partition.

Your NEXT step if the drive is NOT shown is to take it out, connect it to another computer in an enclosure or if you know HOW in the computer a s a slave drive and retirieve your data.

AGAIN the information is on the link I previously sent you on my post 6.

To save you looking it is here again
http://h10025.www1.h...n&product=93710

Alternatively if you would rather you may try this

http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

It requires a writeable CD follow the instructions on the link
The download link for Puppy goes to a different edition than the 5.2.0 LUPO

Use this LINK to download Puppy and then follow the rest of the guide including the burning instructions.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

This is the desktop you will see when you boot to Puppy

Posted Image

It is an ISO image so you must use that burning program, included on the link.

You will of course have to make this on another computer.

With a bit of luck, you may see the HDD as the image on the far bottom left of that desktop image. It looks like a HDD,
A flash drive is the icon next to it and a CD drive looks like a CD

There is a chance that although the drive is not seen by Windows that you may still be able to see it in Puppy.
Generally speaking, if you cannot, the drive has failed.
Also Puppy is a good test of the rest of the hardware.

IF PUPPY will not see it, then the ONLY option left is its removal and connect direct to another computer to see if there is any option to view it there.

Advertisements

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
MacBoatMaster and HappyRock:

As per your directions, the system does not boot to F8 -'safe mode'. I also went back into the BIOS to check the date and time and it is correct. I also checked to see if the HD is visible, but it is still not.

In your posting you mentioned that "...then the drive is not recognised and the Windows screen that appeared is there from part of the hidden recovery partition...."

As a novice, I was only able to see the Windows screen once yesterday after I reset the bios etc. At this point, I reset it a couple times more and it seems to be rotating between recongnising the secondary drive, CD, DVD and just the CD and DVD...no longer the main drive.

I am in the process of connecting the drive to another system. So far, it does not show up either and provides error msg. that system can not locate the OS (or HD). I need to double check the jumper setting, but I think it is on cable select.

I also connected the drive as a secondary drive to a "working" main drive that is running XP. This time the computer also provided an error for both drives and in the BIOS it shows them both as "Unknown" under the drives. Which I do not understand because wouldn't at least the "working - main drive" be visible in 100% working order with no errors?

I am reading through the PUPPY directions. That file seems a bit large for my currect setup, are their any alternatives?

Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not know what you mean by a bit large, you are going to burn it on a CD

In respect of the drive, the other computer must have that drive connected either in an enclosure or docking station so that the computer boots to its normal O/S and simply seems that as an external drive, just as it would see a usb flash pen drive

OR if it is installed in the computer it must be installed, so that computer is NOT attempting to boot from the drive.

Without knowing what you are using etc if this drive has jumpers the it is most likely but not necessarily a PATA - IDE drive and NOT a SATA drive

If you connected it as a SLAVE, either jumpered as a slave with the other jumpered as master or you connected it cable select but as the secondary (slave) and the other drive is jumpered cable select and is connected as the first or master and it is still producing the error, then not only is there a problem with the file system but there is a problem with the mechanical/electronic components of the drive I think.

The end connector of the cable is the master drive and the centre connection is the slave drive.
For that to work both drives must be jumpered cable select or Master and Slave as appropriate

Make sure you know where these jumpers were to start with.

Has the drive been making clicking noises before you posted, has it been automatically running chkdsk on boot
Have you been aware of problems/

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

That file seems a bit large for my currect setup, are their any alternatives?

its only 64 Mb

I need to double check the jumper setting, but I think it is on cable select.

that works if the drive is connected to the middle connector...
if its on a separate IDE connecter it should be on the very end connector with the jumper set to master

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am about to sign off, but before I go, I would advise against SPENDING money on a new drive.

We may have evidence to suspect that it is the drive.

HOWEVER, there would be nothing worse than you buying a new drive, cheap as they are these days in relative terms and then fidning out that the problem , although NOW it may well be the drive was caused by other factors, as unlikely as that may be.

I would suggest if by chance you were thinking of that approach, enquiries to beg, borrow etc any drive you can get hold of., that wil fit your system and of course that the person lending it to you does not mind the data being formatted.

I would then install Ubuntu for instance a free operating system and satisfy yourself that all is well before you risk the expenditure on a new hard drive.

Of course this may sound great typed here, but it relies on you knowing someone who would be prepared to supply the drive

Do not please think that you can simply put a drive in that already has Windows on it from another computer - it has of course all the drivers for that other computer and the likelihood of it booting to windows on your computer is not great.
There is also a certain risk to the file system if it should boot, and it may NOT then boot when returned to its home computer

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

That file seems a bit large for my currect setup, are their any alternatives?

its only 64 Mb

I need to double check the jumper setting, but I think it is on cable select.

that works if the drive is connected to the middle connector...
if its on a separate IDE connecter it should be on the very end connector with the jumper set to master

Hello HappyRock:

Thanks for the information. Although am I missing something? The link shows Puppy to be 128 MB. Also the system that I have access to does not have a CD Recorder. It does have a CD Player, DVD Player and USB Drives.

Thanks.

Edited by grerdo, 19 April 2012 - 09:17 AM.

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello MacBoatMaster,

Not quite sure if am understand your posting? If I have access to a new HD and another one that has XP on it already, how should I proceed to see if I can access or retreive the documents on the HD that is giving me trouble?

Thanks for your assistance.

I am about to sign off, but before I go, I would advise against SPENDING money on a new drive.

We may have evidence to suspect that it is the drive.

HOWEVER, there would be nothing worse than you buying a new drive, cheap as they are these days in relative terms and then fidning out that the problem , although NOW it may well be the drive was caused by other factors, as unlikely as that may be.

I would suggest if by chance you were thinking of that approach, enquiries to beg, borrow etc any drive you can get hold of., that wil fit your system and of course that the person lending it to you does not mind the data being formatted.

I would then install Ubuntu for instance a free operating system and satisfy yourself that all is well before you risk the expenditure on a new hard drive.

Of course this may sound great typed here, but it relies on you knowing someone who would be prepared to supply the drive

Do not please think that you can simply put a drive in that already has Windows on it from another computer - it has of course all the drivers for that other computer and the likelihood of it booting to windows on your computer is not great.
There is also a certain risk to the file system if it should boot, and it may NOT then boot when returned to its home computer

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The link shows Puppy to be 128 MB.

that may be true...it used to be 64 Mb and required you have a minimum of 128 MBs of ram to run

Also the system that I have access to does not have a CD Recorder. It does have a CD Player, DVD Player and USB Drives.

then you will have to get a friend or coworker to burn the puppy .ISO for you

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
and in respect of my posting, I apologise if I have confused you.

In essence what I am saying is

1. You buy new hard drive
2. You place it in the computer and attempt to install windows
3. It does not work - the present hard drive is showing failure or has failed becuase of some other defect on the computer
4. You have wasted the money on the new hard drive

Therefore my suggestion was before SPENDING money on a new hard drive see if you can borrow, beg, or obtain somehow a CHEAP hard drive.

The scenario is unlikely, it is most likely the drive itself, however if you have the chance of testing with hard drive I would consider it.
The other problem you have of course is that if it transpires that the drive is completely unusable, you now have to find a way of reinstalling windows on another drive. and as you do not have the reinstallation disc and the Compaq Presario came with a reovery partition on the hard drive, you cannot of course use that.

Therefore you now need a Compaq reinstallation XP CD and am more or less certain that you will not get one from Compaq HP
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3316440

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would have to agree since Puppy doesn't access the drive and the bios seems to be not seeing it either.
I would suggest a replacement. Since I came in this so late can someone tell me what the current non working hd capacity is?

Advertisements

grerdo

grerdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello MacBoatMaster, Happyrock and Rshaffer61,

My hopes were to at least be able to retrieve some documents fom the HD. I will spend some time during the next few days to try to get the Linux Puppy onto an .iso CD to make certain the HD is indeed non-operational. If you come across any alternatives or ideas please let me know. Would it do any good to have another HD with the OS or a blank HD?

Rshaffer61,

The HD is (was) a 120 gig. The system had been a real workhorse although a bit dated (technology wise), but gets us through the day.

Thanks all for your assistance. and I will look to hear from you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah this may turn out to be a good example of if it is important then it needs to be backed up in more then one place to be safe.
Do you know if the drive is SATA or IDE?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61

I am in the process of connecting the drive to another system. So far, it does not show up either and provides error msg. that system can not locate the OS (or HD). I need to double check the jumper setting, but I think it is on cable select

Post 17 and my reply refer.

Know you are very busy and have only just come in on the topic, so thought I would answer for grerdo

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Mac and I don't understand why any manufacturer put that cable select option on a drive. It is either a master or a slave drive. Any time I have used that option it has been a problem. If the drive is on a grey ribbon by itself set it for master or default it to with a drive with no slave. If it is on a ribbon with anoother drive be it hd or optical set it for master and the other drive for slave. See if the bios then can see the hd and gives you a model number for the drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Received via pm a few days back.

Thanks rshaffer61,

The HD is (was) a 120 gig Seagate. The system had been a real workhorse although a bit dated (technology wise), but gets us through the day. Not sure if it is worthwhile to replace the HD, b/c of the limited safeguards this system currently has for issues such as this, but what do you recommend for HD these days? It currently runs XP without much issue minus video playback.

My hopes were to at least be able to retrieve some documents fom the HD. I will spend some time during the weekend to try to get the Linux Puppy onto an .iso CD to make certain the HD is indeed not operational. If you come across any alternatives or ideas please let me know.

Thanks for your assistance.

Any of these HERE will work but look carefully since some are refurbished drives.