Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DEFECTIVE MOBO

• Please log in to reply

jogee

jogee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a defective Truckee mobo that was part of a law suit against HP. I did not know about this until a few days ago when my PC died. I took it to a local PC shop and they confirmed it is the mobo.

I am looking for a replacement board but don't want to wind up with the same defective one. How can I tell if what is being offered is not one of those? Warranties go from 14 days on some, to 90 days on others, not much time to give it a good workout.

I have found info that there are revised versions but cannot find anything with the revised p/n. HP said they have no part #. Their solution is to send the PC to them for repair because I cannot put in the mobo myself.

He made it sound like I would need a new processor.

I have read some articles that I can do a mobo swap without the Windows 7 disks.

Appreciate any comments or help. Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The MB concerned http://h10025.www1.h...product=4066665
Is your MB out of a http://h10025.www1.h...product=4066665

I am looking for a replacement board but don't want to wind up with the same defective one. How can I tell if what is being offered is not one of those? Warranties go from 14 days on some, to 90 days on others, not much time to give it a good workout.

Is the MB being replaced under warranty?

I have found info that there are revised versions but cannot find anything with the revised p/n. HP said they have no part #. Their solution is to send the PC to them for repair because I cannot put in the mobo myself.

Again is this being offered under warranty?

He made it sound like I would need a new processor.

Who did and what was said please?

I have read some articles that I can do a mobo swap without the Windows 7 disks.

Please see my canned speech below, what is relevant to your question is in bold text;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

You would also need to ensure that you installed the replacement MBs drivers on first boot.

jogee

jogee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The link you provided to MB specs are the same.

The board is not being replaced because I never heard about the law suit which was settled several years ago.

The PC is out of warranty.

I do not recall the exact conversation with the person at HP that said I would need a new processor. I spoke with so many people there I cannot tell you. Most likely customer service since tech will not give you any info if you are out of warranty,unless you pay for it.

I was told I could not replace the board myself because they don't send them to customers, I believe he said the processor would have to be updated. I could understand that if I upgraded the MB to something else.

My understanding from an HP sales rep and also my PC repair store, if I use the same MB I would not need to do a clean install. It would be as if I unplugged all the connections then plugged them back in. If this is not so, then the PC repair store would not be able fix it. (?)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the additional info :thumbsup:

I asked
What is the answer please?
This is important as we need to know what size MB will fit in your case ATX, mATX or uATX as examples.

The board is not being replaced because I never heard about the law suit which was settled several years ago.

If it is your PC at the above link then it was not released until 2009 which is 5 years after the law suit you mention, also the listed processor the i7 Bloomfield was not released until November 2008, these details make it highly unlikely that your MB is one of those that was affected by that law suit.

I do not recall the exact conversation with the person at HP that said I would need a new processor.

A rather casual statement by Hp, why replace the CPU if there is nothing wrong with it and you can obtain a compatible MB.

I was told I could not replace the board myself because they don't send them to customers,

If we can find you a compatible MB then you can replace it yourself, but get the CPU tested first.

My understanding from an HP sales rep and also my PC repair store, if I use the same MB I would not need to do a clean install. It would be as if I unplugged all the connections then plugged them back in

This would be the case if it was a like for like replacement MB including any revision number, a different revision MB may have a different BIOS for example.

If this is not so, then the PC repair store would not be able fix it. (?)

Sorry do not understand this, if the MB is good, the CPU is good then you can simply install another OS.

The crux of it is that you need to find out what (if anything) is wrong with the MB and what caused it - a bad PSU for example.

What exactly happens when you power up the computer.

jogee

jogee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That must have been a different law suit, this one was filed 2009. My PC, as were most of the elite models that had defective MB.

Anyway, I had PC repair place run diagnostics and it is the MB.

MB is ATX- Have intel processor.

Power up- PC starts, fans run but no input to the screen. First thought was video card, but that checked out ok. Tried all the things they tell you to do and when nothing worked took it to the shop.

Unless the BIOS is much greater than what I have, I think that can be changed.

I have found boards on the net but can not get any info on the revisions.

My board is a 517194-001 Rev A05. Pegatron Truckee IPMTB-TK.

Also found ones 594415-001 which may be a newer revise, then there are ones listed as the Pegatron or Asus Truckee IPMTB-TK.

The comment you did not understand was about the legality/license. I was questioning the fact if I could not do a MB, no disk, replacement, then my repair shop would have the same problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
jogee

I have asked on two previous occasions;

If this is not your model of Hp can you please tell us which model it is!

That must have been a different law suit, this one was filed 2009. My PC, as were most of the elite models that had defective MB.

There is conflicting opinions @ http://h30434.www3.h...lem/td-p/519385

I explained in my post #2 regarding the legal aspect of replacing your MB without violating your OS licence;
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

At this point I am not exactly sure what you are asking assistance for so can you please clarify;

If you want us to find a MB that is compatible with your CPU?
Before you can do this you need to get the CPU tested, establish what caused the MB to fail, if it was a bad PSU and if so has it fried the CPU, Ram and video card as well as the MB.

Before we establish what parts are good or bad then I am sorry you/we are not making any progress.

Regarding your OS, Microsoft will be well aware of the issue with your MB and so I suggest that you either send them an email or phone them to explain your circumstances and ask for their guidance, they will know this is genuine case and should be willing to help.

The comment you did not understand was about the legality/license. I was questioning the fact if I could not do a MB, no disk, replacement, then my repair shop would have the same problem.

As long as you stick to the guidance that I have provided above you will be fine as both yourself and the PC store can use your present 25 digit Microsoft product key to register the replacement Pegatron MB with Microsoft, the product key will be on a sticker somewhere on your case.

jogee

jogee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding on the model#. The link you provided takes me to the Elite PC that I have, the e9180t. I thought you just wanted a varification of the MB specs.

Original help request was for info on what MB HP used to replace the defective ones. I could not find any revision info or specs on what they used.

As I have mentioned, I have found sources for the MB but no spec details.

PC was tested, CPU,PSU, video card etc all check out, nothing was fried. I think there is little doubt about it being the MB after reading hundreds of complaints.

After many hours of searching, reading support sites and news articles, my understanding is, it would take months (if ever) to find out what caused the MB failure.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for clearing things up for us :thumbsup:

There are 3 possible CPUs that may be in your MB so can you let us know which of the CPUs you have, this will allow us to look for alternative MBs for you, meanwhile I reiterate that you should contact MS for some guidance regarding the OS;

Which CPU from below please;
Core-i7-920 (B) (2.66GHz /1366 MHz) 1 MB L2 + 8 MB shared L3 (130W)
Core-i7-950 (B) (3.06GHz /1366 MHz) 1 MB L2 + 8 MB shared L3 (130W)
Core-i7-975EE (B) XE (3.33GHz /1366 MHz) 1 MB L2 + 8 MB shared L3 (130W)

jogee

jogee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, I have the the first one listed.

I may have located some more info on the replacement MB. I'll check it out.

Old p/n 517194-001 Rev A05 may now be 594415-001.

The BIOS may be slightly higher 5.24 or 5.29.

I will contact MS about the OS.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Intel lists 3 compatible MBs http://processormatc...?ProcNbr=i7-920

Rather expensive to replace here in the UK http://www.byhunt.co...roduct_id=76917
Convert British Pound to US Dollar
£ 183.38 = $ 293.9724

jogee

jogee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I will check those out.

Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:
As I said the MBs are expensive here in the UK so I hope they are less expensive where you are.