Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

win 7 virtual machine crashed after automatic updates

• Please log in to reply

woodrow896

woodrow896

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm getting tired of virtual XP mode problems, I never hardly use it and don't do anything crazy while I there. Twice now automatic updates caused
XP mode to fail to start. Tired of reloading it. I think it is something to do with it is a windows anytime upgrade version of virtual XP mode.
Anyhow, All I get is a small black screen after it tells me integration failed and asks me if I want to try again which is useless.
I need to be able to restore this to an earlier date before the automatic updates happened and can't get it to do anything in XP mode.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Edited by woodrow896, 16 April 2012 - 03:07 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,078 posts
Click on Start, type system restore then click on System Restore.

That should allow you to restore to before the updates were installed.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
That'll just restore Win 7 mode, tried it out of desperation but didn't think it would work and it didn't... I need to restore virtual XP mode and can't get anything to come up. Those automatic updates (in virtual xp mode) are brutal on the windows anytime upgrade version of Professional it appears.
Thanks.

Edited by woodrow896, 16 April 2012 - 06:20 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,078 posts
Sorry, I misunderstood. I though updates to Win 7 caused the problem. To restore XP mode,

In the XP Mode window, Start then Accessories, System Tools then System Restore.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,078 posts
On my computer, XP Mode takes 1.5 minutes to boot. XP Pro under Oracle Virtual Box takes 10 seconds. I never use XP Mode any more.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I couldn't get a start icon or anything, I thought I was screwed.......BUT, the darndest thing...I figured it out by accident because I surely am no expert....when the updates were applied it asked me if I wanted to restart and I said yes....it proceeded to shut down XP mode and it was still shutting down after a half hour so I knew something was up with that. I had to power down which I hate to do.
Since then XP mode wouldn't start as I said and there was just the black box... but I could click on the top right of it and shut it down but noticed it was going to hibernate and I thought that was odd. Next time when the black box came up when I restarted it I was able to open the tools on the top and noticed the shut down was set to hibernate....oddly. I changed that to shut down and it shut down completely and I restarted it and XP came up....So that was it, it never shut down and restarted completely which was a glitch in the virtual XP program near as I can tell.
I am more lucky than good to find this.
Thanks for the assistance.