. My name is godawgs
and I will be assisting you with your Virus / Malware issues.I am currently still in training and my posts have to be approved by an expert so please expect a delay between my posts.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at GeeksToGo we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
I will start working on your Malware issues. This may, or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!If you have since resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please inform me so that this topic can be closed.If you have not, please adhere to the guidelines below and then carefully follow all future instructions:
I am going to stick with you until ALL malware is gone from your system. I would appreciate it if you would do the same.
Because of this, you must reply within four days
. If you haven't replied within that time, the topic will be closed! If you need additional time to complete things, just let me know.
- Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post. Please remember, I am a volunteer, and I do have a life outside of these forums.
- Please let me know if you are using a computer with multiple accounts, as this can affect the instructions given.
- Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
- If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
- All tools must be run from an account with Administrator privileges.
- If I instruct you to download a specific tool which you already have, please delete the copy that you have and re-download the tool. The reason I ask you to do this is because these tools are updated fairly regularly.
- Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, so you can check off each step as you complete it.
Also, part of the fix may require you to be in Safe Mode, which will not allow you to access the internet, or my instructions!
- Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer, installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry or running any tools, unless instructed to do so. The one thing that you should always do, is to make sure sure that your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date (if possible)!
- Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post unless directed otherwise.
- Lastly, Please be aware that removing Malware is a hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. Some infections are so severe that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system. Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but, sadly, it does happen.
In light of this be prepared to back up your data. Have means of backing up your data available.
I need some logs. Please delete your current copy of OTL. You don't need to uninstall it, just delete it and download a fresh copy to the desktop.Step-1 OTL Custom ScanDownload OTL
to the Desktop. It is important that it is download to the Desktop.
users should right click the download link and click "Save File As"
. On the window that comes up, make sure the download location is the Desktop
and click the Save
Please copy the text in the code box below and paste it in the
box in OTL
. To do that:
- Highlight everything inside the code box, right click the mouse and click Copy.
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ComObjects\*.* /s
>C:\commands.txt echo list vol /raw /hide /c
>C:\DiskReport.txt diskpart /s C:\commands.txt /raw /hide /c
type c:\diskreport.txt /c
del c:\commands.txt^|y /hide /c
del c:\diskreport.txt^|y /hide /c
on the desktop. To do that:
- Double click on the OTL icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed.
- You will see a console like the one below:
- Check the box beside Scan All Users at the top of the console
- Make sure the Output box at the top is set to Standard Output.
- In the Extra Registry section, click the radio button beside Use Safelist<---Important
- Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
- Place the mouse pointer inside the box, right click and click Paste. This will put the above script inside OTL
- Click the button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so.
- Let the scan run uninterrupted. The scan won't take long.
- When the scan completes, it will open OTL.Txt on the desktop. A file named Extras.txt will be minimized. These files are also saved in the same location as OTL (it should be on your desktop).
- Please copy the contents of these files and paste them into your reply. To do that:
- On the OTL.txt file Menu Bar click Edit then click Select All. This will highlight the contents of the file. Then click Copy.
- Right click inside the forum post window then click Paste.This will paste the contents of the OTL.txt file in the in the post window.
Repeat for the Extras.txt file.
- Download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.
- Double click the aswMBR.exe file to run it. (Windows /7 users: Right click the file and click Run as Administrator. If you get a UAC window, allow the file to run.
- If it asks you if you want to download the latest virus definitions, click Yes
- Click the "Scan" button to start the scan
- On completion of the scan click save log. Save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.
When you run aswMBR
, if it is shutdown automatically, then it is most likely the infection detecting that aswMBR
is running and terminating it. In this situation you should rename executable to iexplore.exe
and try it again.Step-3.Things For Your Next Post:1.
The OTL.txt log2.
The Extras.txt log3.
The aswMBR log