Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 comp freezing.

• Please log in to reply

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
My comp has been freezing on me for months. It takes a while to happen but if I continue to work on it then it happens with increasing frequency. When it does freeze it repeatedly plays whatever sound is currently playing until you hold down the power button to restart. Others have suggested, and I agree with them that overheating is the most likely cause. I've been running speccy and watching the temps. The graphics card seems to run at about 72 close to crashing and then CPU at 63. I don't know if that's particularily hot. Also, this is the trend Im seeing and not the actually temp when it crashes as I don't know how to see that number after the crash. It's been investigated a few time but the crashes don't leave a log file and I can't seem to confirm anything. Over the past 3 days it's started to BSOD and says it's creating a dump file. I hoped that someone could help me read/interpret said dump file. I really don't know how to access this or do anything with it. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you opened the computer case and cleaned it out with compressed air?
Are all the vents clear, not clogged with dust or dirt?
Are all the fans working, including the one on the video card if it's not built into the system board?

Can't you run Speedfan and leave it visible so when the freeze occurs you can see what the temps are?

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
It most often freezes when I'm playing a game and therefore not on the same screen. I'll try speedfan and see what I can capture. As for the fan, yes it's been cleaned and the vents are pristine. And just for more info, it's an ASUS laptop. I'm not really comfortable opening it up so I got someone else to do the cleaning for me, but it was opened up to do it.

Still hoping someone can help me look at the dump files that have been created. Thanks

Edited by LANCE_1313, 16 April 2012 - 06:22 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Zip the mini dumps and upload. I can take a look. You can also run BlueScreenViewer and/or WhoCrashed to get some info from the dumps.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
So here are the results from "who Crashed" My interpretation is that I have some memory corruption. Is it probable that the constant freezes have corrupted some of the memory? Should I run a memory error check?

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 16/04/2012 10:55:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\041612-15537-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x2BFED)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0xFFFFF8E0009E79BC, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8000340CFA2)
Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! Virtualization Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsnx.sys AVAST Software DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

On Mon 16/04/2012 10:55:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: netio.sys (NETIO!NetioAdvanceNetBufferList+0x110)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0xFFFFF8E0009E79BC, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8000340CFA2)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netio.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Network I/O Subsystem
Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 15/04/2012 9:29:19 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\041512-22604-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC80)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x109B, 0x9060001, 0xFFFFFA800BEBB170)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 15/04/2012 6:20:34 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\041512-40482-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC80)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0x8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800033C5617)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 15/03/2012 10:57:23 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031512-25490-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: iastor.sys (iaStor+0x71681)
Bugcheck code: 0x70860002 (0x3, 0x2, 0x6, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iastor.sys
product: Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - x64
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: iastor.sys (Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - x64, Intel Corporation).
Google query: iastor.sys Intel Corporation CUSTOM_ERROR

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
They are all over the place. Zip up the minidumps and upload them please. I want to see if there is any common module involved in all (or most) of them.

It would be an excellent idea to test your ram. Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I'm away from home and don't have any CD's right now. I assume i can't run it from a flash drive? Any other way to go about it or do I have to wait until I'm back home. Either way here's the dump files.

Thanks

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, you can run it from a flash drive. See here: How to run MemTest86+ from a flash drive

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All the dumps are very consistent. One file I see that I am a little suspicious of is AsDsm.sys, which is probably the Asus Data Security Management driver.

What is the make and model number of your computer? If not a retail box, does it have an ASUS motherboard? If so I suggest checking the ASUS web site for the latest drivers for it.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
It's an Asus G60JX

Mother board is a PEGATRON CORPORATION G60JX (Socket 989)

should i try and update this driver?

First attempt at the memtest froze at 65%. I'll try again overnight.

Edited by LANCE_1313, 17 April 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you running 32 or 64 bit Win 7? The drivers are available here: Support For Notebook G60JX

Select the OS then try the chipset driver, see if that makes a difference.

It's still possible that over heating is the root cause of this problem or defective memory so you do need to try memtest again. Letting it run overnight is a good idea but if the computer is overheating then it very well may freeze again.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I'm running a 64 bit system. I've installed the driver and will see if it makes any difference. Here's hoping!

I'll also run the scan overnight.

Heading to be now, thanks again

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
11 passes and no errors overnight. So that's one good thing

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Double good. No memory errors and it didn't hang during the overnight run.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
So i made it through 2 games of League of Legends without it freezing. I don't think i've done that for a week or so. Perhaps the driver worked. Anything else you think i should try right now?