Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox incessantly crashes due to Flash

• Please log in to reply

jamboogy

jamboogy

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi,

This problem has been bugging me for a while now. It's pretty difficult for me to have a session on the laptop without Firefox crashing and me not having to "end task" and restart it. If I refresh a YouTube video, half the time the browser will crash. Sometimes when I click on links on the internet, it will crash too. I've uninstalled Flash Player and reinstalled it but to no avail unfortunately. I am currently using Firefox 11. I have downgraded to previous versions but this was unsuccessful also.

Some help to fix this really annoying problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
First thing to try is see if it happens with Internet Explorer. If yes then it's a system OS problem. If no then it's a FireFox problem, probably caused by an Add-on.

Try running Firefox with Add-ons disabled, see if that makes a difference. To do that, click on Firefox at top left, then Help then Restart with Add-ons disabled.

jamboogy

jamboogy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Been browsing for around an hour with add ons disabled in Firefox. Fortunately, I've had no problems whatsoever which is a change.

EDIT: Firefox still crashed, even without add ons. I'm currently trying IE as we speak.

Edited by jamboogy, 17 April 2012 - 11:03 AM.

jamboogy

jamboogy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Sorry, I've been away. IE ran without any problems, so it must be a problem with the add-ons in Firefox?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You said you ran with Add-ons disabled and it still crashed so that doesn't seem likely.

Try creating a new Firefox Profile and run with that for a while. Don't install any addons other than what is absolutely required to view a Youtube movie, maybe just flash.

How to: Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows

jamboogy

jamboogy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Been running with a new profile on Firefox, however the Flash player stalled the browser again when I tried to watch a video on the BBC website. "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed".

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, I was away for 5 days. Try posting your question in the Firefox support forum. See if anyone there has any ideas.