Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

"emergency keys" for W98

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
For all Geekers plagued with instability and booting problems, would someone please list here ALL the "emergency" keys that might kick-start a pc? I know only to use the F8 key on start up to get to a series of options that include SafeMode. Are there others?

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi wdc202.

Not really sure what you are asking but ...

Windows Start up keys

Keys which are read just after the power-on self test ends and before the DOS bootup phase begins. If BootKeys=0 in Msdos.sys, the keys won’t work.
  • F4 If BootWin=1, starts the previous version of DOS. If Windows 98 has been installed in its own directory on a computer that has MS-DOS 6.x or a previous DOS operating system, then this key will start that version of DOS instead of Windows 98. This also works if Windows 98 has been installed on a computer that already has OS/2 and Windows NT installed after you use their multi-boot menus.

If BootWin=0, pressing F4 boots up Windows 98.

Only works if BootMulti=1. Same as menu item 8 on the Windows 98 Startup menu.
  • F5 Safe startup of Windows 98. This allows Windows 98 to start with its most basic configuration, bypassing your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files, using the VGA driver for video, and not loading any networking drivers. You can use Safe startup if there are any problems starting Windows 98.

Same as menu item 3 on the Windows 98 Startup menu.
  • Shift+F5 Command line start. Boots to real-mode DOS 7.1. MS-DOS, Command.com, and Dblspace.bin (or Drvspace.bin) are loaded in low memory, taking up valuable conventional memory space. Bypasses Config.sys and Autoexec.bat.

Same as menu item 7 on the Windows 98 Startup menu.
  • Ctrl+F5 Command line start without compressed drives. The Dblspace.bin and Drvspace.bin files are ignored and DoubleSpace and DriveSpace drives are not mounted.
  • F6 Safe startup (like F5) but with the addition of the network. Same as menu item 4 on the Windows 98 Startup menu.
  • Ctrl or F8 Starts the Windows 98 Startup menu.

You need to hold down the Ctrl key before the DOS bootup process begins.
  • Shift+F8 Interactive start that goes through Config.sys and Autoexec.bat one line at a time and lets you decide if you want that line read and acted upon. Also goes through each command that Io.sys initiates before it carries out the commands in Config.sys. (This is interesting to watch in itself.)

Same as menu item 5 on the Windows 98 Startup menu.
Windows Hot keys
  • Alt+Tab Tab from one active application to another. Switch to graphics mode if DOS is in full-screen text mode. This is the “cool switch.”
  • Alt+Tab+Click If your DOS application is in full-screen mode and you press and hold the Alt+Tab key combination, clicking any mouse button brings up the Desktop.
  • Ctrl+Esc Switch to graphics mode, if necessary, from full-screen DOS, display the Desktop and the Taskbar, and click the Start button.
  • Alt+Print Screen Copy the active window to the Clipboard. If the DOS application is in a DOS window, copy it as a graphic; if the DOS application is in full-screen text mode, copy it as text.
  • Alt+Spacebar Click the system menu icon.
  • Alt+Esc Switch to the next active application.
  • Print Screen Copy the complete Desktop, including all windows, to the Clipboard. In full-screen DOS text mode, copy all the text to the Clipboard.
  • Alt+Enter Switch between full-screen and DOS window.
AS well as the famous Ctrl Alt Del which brings up task manager.

See Windows 98 SECRETS by Brian Livingston and Davis Straub a great book for Win 98 users. I no longer have it anymore except as a win help file. Somebody borrowed the book and I forgot who and it prob gone forever. :tazz:

Edited by StarHawk, 03 June 2005 - 03:21 PM.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In Win98SE the F6 boots to "SafeMode with Networking" alright but no networking is or gets started. Could I start it myself? What would I have to "Run"?

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Starhawk's post is worthy of a pinned topic, in my opinion.