Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Expanding HD by removing clip?

• Please log in to reply

j123jam

j123jam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
:tazz: My dad (who is not very computer savvy) says that some computer expert at his office claims that you can increase the capacity if certain hard drives by removing a plastic "clip" on the physical drive. Supposedly the manufacturer finds it cheaper to make all the same hard drives with high capacities and then "clip" them so only part is usable and the computer sees it as a smaller drive. But if you remove the clip, your hardrive can quadruple in size without buying a new harddrive. Is this true and how can I do it? The computer in question is a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop with a 10GB harddrive that's completely full. Thanks!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Well, that's a new one for me.. I know some Western Digital 40GB drives came with a jumper that limited them to 32GB's, but that is a far cry from what you are proposing!!

Murray

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Murrays right. Quite a lot of drive will have a plastic jumper which, if enabled, 'clips' the drive size.
The size it clips to is related to the full size of the drive & current bios limitations at the time the drive was manufactured.

Common clip sizes include 2GB, 8GB, 32GB, 64GB etc because have been some of the common size barriers for motherboards.

So your dad's computer expert is right in a way, removing the plastic jumper from a drives clip option will make the drive larger but only to the size the drive was supposed to be in the first place (ie the size printed on the top of the drive). This clip jumper is not installed by default when the drive is manufacturered anyway.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for the clarifcation Samm!!

Murray