Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Builded plans....

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Plan on doing my 1st build.....nothing to crazy. Im not much into pc gaming but would like to have the option to if I feel like it. Here is what I was plan on using....will everything be compatible?

GC: SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 or i3-2125

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922

trying to stay at a low price(under 900)

Any suggestion?

Thanx

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
:welcome: 662

For some ideas on what can be achieved with your budget see my post #18 @ http://www.geekstogo...ve/page__st__15

Some further guidance;

You should not decide on a PSU until all other components are confirmed, this will allow you to use a PSU calculator such as this example http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder/ which will help ensure that you have enough clean and stable power;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

I don`t see an OS such as Windows 7 on your list, if you need to purchase W7 it will add circa $100 to your build costs, see canned speech below which is intended to ensure new builders are aware of the legal implications of using licenced products;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

Do you have any components to bring to your build such as a screen, DVD/CD drive, keyboard, mouse etc.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

For some ideas on what can be achieved with your budget see my post #18 @ http://www.geekstogo...ve/page__st__15

Some further guidance;

You should not decide on a PSU until all other components are confirmed, this will allow you to use a PSU calculator such as this example http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder/ which will help ensure that you have enough clean and stable power;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

I don`t see an OS such as Windows 7 on your list, if you need to purchase W7 it will add circa $100 to your build costs, see canned speech below which is intended to ensure new builders are aware of the legal implications of using licenced products;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

Do you have any components to bring to your build such as a screen, DVD/CD drive, keyboard, mouse etc.

Thanx for the feedback it helped me rethink some things.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Suggestions for your build./ http://pcpartpicker.com/p/72Yf

Total (before mail-in rebates):$933.78Mail-in Rebates:$-40.00Total:$893.78

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Some further guidance;

Thanx for the feedback it helped me rethink some things.

You are welcome :thumbsup:
Please keep us updated on your progress and any questions let us know, colleague iammykyl does a good build and I am sure that he will pitch in if I am offline, other members may also chip in with pointers and feedback about products that they have used.