Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom built computer, disk boot failure

• Please log in to reply

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
It's been a long while since I've been here because up until this point, I haven't had any new issues with my brand new computer (got it in November, so it's still pretty new.) However, two days ago, in the middle of a mix on winamp, my computer fizzles out, resets, then goes to the Loading Operating System... screen then it says Disk boot failure, insert disk to continue, yet if I turn the PSU off and back on, I can log back into windows and stay on windows for a few minutes at a time. On top of this, Malwarebytes doesn't even open and says I can't update it and whenever my computer resets, it doesn't recognize my HDD so I can't wipe or fix the HDD even though it spins up for a few minutes... could this be caused by overheating?

Specs:
8 GB Kingston DDR3 Hyper X RAM
AMD 3650 APU
Gigabyte A75M-UD2H mobo
650 watt PSU
Seagate Barracuda 750 GB SATA 3.0 HDD

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is it a branded computer if so what please is the make and full model

If not branded did you build it or was it purchased as a ready to use

Or as a barebones and you completed it

What O/S please - in full

the first analysis using only of course what you have told us tends to suggest either of

1. A PSU problem

2. A hardware fault possibly in a component which is reset when power is removed

3.. A temp problem - overheat

4. A hard drive error - file system etc.

5. A driver or software error

Before we start please supply the info I have asked for and what steps have you tried to save me repeating the suggestions, wasting both of out time.

Thanks

NB I have indicated on your post of this in our Malware forum that assistance will commence here.

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Custom built PC. I bought the parts separately and built myself. Windows 7 64 bit OS. It may have to do with overheating, yet even when I kept it off over night with no power to it, it still reset rather quickly. What I don't understand is why my HDD is recognized if I turn the PSU switch off then back on, then when it resets it doesn't recognize it. The methods I have tried are fdisk /mbr sys c: from a Windows 7 Boot disk command prompt and that didn't help. I tried system restore and that failed. I tried every part of system repair, but they didn't work because the hard drive wasn't there. I even tried re-installing windows. I swear it's viral because it spins for a minute then dies.

Edited by Andy Br00t4l, 18 April 2012 - 05:09 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you say reinstall - do you mean format and clean install or what used to be called a repair install of XP and is now effectively the same but on 7

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Answer the above please but I think we will start with an extended test on that drive
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

Make the bootable CD for dos please and run it

I think also you should enter set up and check the voltages in BIOS please.

The other aspect that comes to mind are you running this on an anti=surge bar if so disconnect and connect straight to AC

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NOTE please so that you are not left waiting fro a reply I am signing off in 30 minutes I am in UK it is 0050 now

Back 1700 or so

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ya know I'm feeling a reformat is in order here, so I think I'm just gonna back up all my projects and save games for all my gaming and re-install windows. I was afraid of losing lots of work, but I realized it's not that big of a deal. It seems to work long enough for me to do some back up work anyways... If anything changes, I'll let you know.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well its your choice of course

I would check the disk as I said

Check the temps and voltages in BIOS

If Windows stays on long enough you can in 7 use Control panel Performance Information and Tools, advanced settings and generate many reports

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I will do everything you told me as such and report back. I believe it's okay but I'm downloading the system tool you install instead of run from a cd cuz for some reason it seems okay now. I'll stay in touch though.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If all is well as far as you can tell, with those tests, please go to your post in the Malware forum.

I have already provided the link there to this topic and you have an expert waiting to assist you there to ensure you are not infected.

Regards and good luck.

Would you kindly indicate on this topic if that is what you are so doing.

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
UPDATE: I think it was related to being connected to the internet as when I reset my computer without a wireless USB in, there was no reset and I was able to uninstall Malwarebyte's, which was corrupt, effectively and re-install, which following a scan, not much to my surprise, I found rootkit activity. Since then, I've reset and the problem hasn't returned. Thank you so much for your help!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks.
In view of the fact that the scan reported finding an infection

I found rootkit activity

my advice and indeed I view it as vital, is that you go to the topic in Malware and send a PM to the member as he has indicated.

You would be well advised to have an expert look for you to ensure that you are now clean.