Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing windows 7, external HDD!

• Please log in to reply

Laxmorz

Laxmorz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, so i recently upgraded my hardware in my computer that was only compatible with windows vista/7. I have a win7 setup on my external hard drive but i dont know how to boot it from there because it keeps booting to windows xp and hangs on a black screen. ive drive selecting manual boot and selecting usb but it still boots to xp. I do not have a windows xp disk, how else can i boot windows 7?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you mean when you say "I have a win7 setup on my external hard drive"?

Laxmorz

Laxmorz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i have an executable file for windows 7 install on my external hard drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
??? Sorry but I still don't understand. What do you mean by executable file? I've never heard of Win 7 being installed from an executable file.

Also, that is probably why you can't boot the drive, it's not bootable. Can you post of list of the files in the root of the drive? Make sure you have hidden files and folders being show in Folder Options, View tab.

You can Download Windows 7 ISO (Official 32-bit and 64-bit Direct Download Links). Use ImgBurn to burn a DVD at 4X speed then boot it to install Win 7. You will need a valid product key to do this.

Laxmorz

Laxmorz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My friend linked me to it, he burnt it to a disk and it worked for him. I do not have access to a disk and i cant even boot to XP on the computer i need.

Laxmorz

Laxmorz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
"Can you post of list of the files in the root of the drive? Make sure you have hidden files and folders being show in Folder Options, View tab."

Do you want to view all files on my external hdd?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No. You can't install from the external hard drive because it's not bootable. Do you have a 4GB (or larger) flash drive? If so, download the iso for the Win 7 you need from the link I gave you and create a bootable flash drive to install from.

The easiest method is to use Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3

Select Windows 7 from the drop down menu and your off.