Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moboard / Memory Compatibility

• Please log in to reply

Day_late

Day_late

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm trying to spec a new build and need some advice about memory. The motherboard is an ASUS P8H61-M LE, and the CPU is an Intel Pentium G620. I'm planning to use 4GB memory in 2 DIMM sticks, DDR3 1333, but I'm not sure how to go about selecting a compatible product. Any advice? Thanks.

Advertisements

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
check the mobo manufacturers website; they should have a list of tested memory along with specs that are compatable.. Check the latency, voltage, slot, and speed. I would go with the fastest speed available, and would recommend going w/ 2x4gb; pay about 25% more than for 1 stick of 4gb.

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Forgot to add that I would get a second opinion; I'm no expert.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi,
Here is you Mobo page, http://www.asus.com/...1155/P8H61M_LE/ click on memory support list.

I advise you install 8GB, in 2 slots, if you install 4Gb in 2 slots and you wish to upgrade later, you would have to dump the existing RAM, @ Newegg, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233192

Day_late

Day_late

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the inputs, guys. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific in the first post. The reason I'm looking for 4GB of memory in 2 2GB sticks is the OS is going to be 32-bit Windows 7 and 4GB is the most memory it can use. I've been to the ASUS site and printed out the memory QVL; it lists a bunch of candidates. Newegg (where I'm sourcing most of the parts) has a lot of memory but I'm not finding many exact matches with the QVL. I guess my question is if I need to get the exact memory part numbers listed in the QVL.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
There are so many different characterised RAM that only s certain number can be tested. Providing you match specification listed on a particular Mobo site,(quality/Branded) you would be very unfortunate to get RAM that was not comparable

This RAM is perfect for your Motherboard. http://www.newegg.co...2E16820145251.

Day_late

Day_late

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the link. That solves my problem.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome.

Is there a specific reason for using a 32bit OS rather than a 64bit version?

Day_late

Day_late

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
My computing is pretty much e-mail, web browsing, some office applications and real basic photo editing. I've got several programs that won't run under a 64-bit system and I don't want to replace them. Don't foresee any gaming.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Right, good reasons, especially not wanting to replace software.

Safety. Before going inside the computer or handling parts. Remember to unplug the PC, take anti static measure by briefly touching an unpainted part of the PC case.

Advertisements

Day_late

Day_late

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just a quick "Thank you" to all the geeks here. The advice I got here, both in response to my questions and in the threads I reviewed, helped a lot with my first build. I'm still waiting for a new monitor and the OS, but I got everything else together, held my breath, and put the power to it. All the lights light, the fans run, the motherboard setup screen comes up on the (borrowed) monitor and the mouse and keyboard work. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but I admit I was. Again, thanks guys.

Regards,
Warren

By the way, the OS I'm waiting for is the 64-bit version of Windows Home Premium. After the comments here, I reconsidered and returned the 32-bit version.

Edited by Day_late, 28 April 2012 - 03:27 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome.

Good choice for the OS. As you did go 64bit, did you get 8GB of RAM to go with it?

Some tips you may consider using. Read through first. Update drivers only from the manufacturers web sites, especially graphics. Make sure windows firewall is active. Update your OS and drivers before installing other programs.
After installing the OS and drivers, create a folder in My Docs, (Backup Images) take a backup image of the C drive and save. , Create a rescue disk.

I create a manual restore point before every alteration, takes time but well worth it in case of problems.

Perform any necessary BIOS, Driver and OS updates. If the system is stable, Create a second Image and save.

Install you programs, if system is stable, create you third image. You now have choices to restore your system.

You can now restore any Data you saved. Make sure it goes where you want it to go.

Good Luck.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

How are things going? Did you finish the build?
An update would be welcome.

Day_late

Day_late

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The build went well, but there are minor problems. The top fan in the case didn't work and I'm waiting for a replacement from Antec to arrive. I used the computer for about a week and Windows 7 64-bit got more and more unstable (I keep getting the blue screen), but all my 32-bit software runs okay. The reused hard drive is a bit noisy, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a 128GB SSD. Once that's in, I'll do a clean install of Windows, add software one program at a time, and give each program a day or so to show any instability. If there's an easier (or quiicker) way to do that, I'd like to know about it.

For info, I installed (in order):

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Microsoft Security Essentials (got a clean scan)
Updates to Windows and Internet Explorer
Microsoft Office 2003
Firefox
Chrome
LastPass
Macrium Reflect backup software (made backup medium and did an image backup)
Spesoft free CD ripping software

I was really pleased with the ease of installing Windows 7. Getting drivers for a couple clean installs of Windows XP in the last month was hard. With Windows 7 it was a breeze.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Good to hear from you. Disappointing when you get some hardware that is not up to scratch.Posted Image

(I keep getting the blue screen)

This could be a hardware of software issue and should be investigated.
1. Overheating will cause your PC to slow down and possible crash. use your Mobo health utility to monitor your temps and post a screen shot.

2. Your HDD may be faulty. Select the appropriate diagnostics tool from this page, download, follow instruction, let us know the result.
> http://pcsupport.abo...p/tophddiag.htm

Will answer your other questions after performing the above.

You did not mention updating the BIOS or Mobo drivers.

Why have you 3 browsers? If they are all loading at windows start-up, they will slow down the computer.