Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sas hdd sata mobo help

• Please log in to reply

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
So I received my custom build @ 10 days ago

nzxt switch 810 black case
assus sabertooth 990fx amd mobo
evga gtx 570 1.2gb graphics card
seagate barracuda 250gb primary and 2tb secondary hdds (7200 rpm sata 3)
ultra lsp 750 psu
amd phenom ii 6x3.2gb cpu
2x4gb corsair vengeance ddr3 memory
lg super multi blue lightscribe cd and dvd burner, bluray player w/software for bluray

anyway decided to upgrade my primary hdd to a seagate cheetah 15k.7 (15000 rpm version 7) 300gb
Problem is, I thought sas WAS sata. In order to use this hdd would I need just a certain cable to convert it or would I need a controller/card?

If i need the card, what would you recommend, and would I need a RAID card, or is there a standard SAS controller? Mobo supports up to pci 2.0x16 expansion slot; would prefer to keep open for secondary/trimary graphics card; have regular pci x 2

My budget to get this hdd working is 300

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi and welcome backe.

My knowledge about the SAS interface is limited so I advise contacting this site and let them know what you want to do. http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_hba/

I do know.
A SATA controller cannot control SAS hardware.
A SAS controller can control, SAS/SATA/eSATA.
You can buy, SAS RAID Controller Cards OR SAS Host Bus Adapters (non-RAID)
You could ask if this type of card would be OK for your intended use.http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816115096

I have also read on a number of occasions, that these type of HDDs are meant for use in servers chases which have superior cooling, they should not be used in a desktop environment as they produce a tremendous amount of heat.

Kept at a modest 20°C ambient room temperature, the 15K.7 SAS drive idled at 62°C and later reached 65°C under full load. The older 15K.6 model wasn't much better, however, and warmed up to 60°C at idle and 63°C under load. These were not the internal temperatures, mind you, but rather the external chassis temps when recorded by a non-contact IR thermometer. The point here is simple: these aren't suitable as desktop drives, and require the cool environment only a corporate Enterprise server facility can provide (although Seagate has intentionally designed the Cheetah series to work fine in much higher temperatures, all the way up to scorching 55°C ambient environment).
Source, http://benchmarkrevi...d=375&Itemid=60

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the info esp. the fine print about operating temp. I found the controller I need-ExpressSAS H608-and will def buy more fans.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome, thank you for posting back.Posted Image

Hope the set up achieves what you are after.