Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing native windows drivers for midi device

• Please log in to reply

dbtrade

dbtrade

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a midi device that does not come with any drivers.

When I plug the device into my PC, it runs the Hardware Wizard, which finishes by saying that it cannot install the device because it cannot find the necessary software. When I plug the device into another windows XP machine, the device installs just fine.

I inspected the drivers on the 'good install' machine, and compared them to my machine to see if I had those drivers. I was missing 2. ksproxy.ax and ksuser.dll.

I searched my installation CD and extracted those files into my system32 folder. But that does not fix the problem. I'm guessing that those driver files are not properly accounted for in the registry file.

The device communicates with my PC just fine, as there is a special firmware update mode, and when I put the device into that mode, the PC recognizes it and installs the firmware. But when I take the device out of the update mode, and plug it back in, the Hardware Wizard runs and fails again.

I'm about to try a repair install, but that seems drastic.

Any suggestions??

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday dbtrade, Posted Image

What is the device you are installing?

You should try the system files checker before taking more drastic action. Carefully read the below tutorial, use Option Two. Note, the warning, Note, you may have to run it 3 times. If not successful, let us know.

http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks!

The device I am installing is the Presonus Faderport.

Your plan was the along the same ideas I was thinking since writing. Very pleased to see someone suggesting it. I'm running a backup first and will reply here on how it all turns out.

I kind of have my doubts and suspect registry problems, and I assume that SFC does not mess with the registry. But I will be very happy if I am wrong!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
SFC actually attempts to repair faulty system files. If it cannot do this it then will try to replace the faulty file with a good copy from the OS disk or the I386 folder on the hard drive.
There is no reason to mess with the registry since XP because the OS will take care of any issues it has. The so called registry cleaners are more of a nightmare then a help. Below is the way we explain it better.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
So I got my system backed up after some side tracks.

I ran SFC /Scannow (I have XP just in case that wasn't clear)

rebooted

Plugged in the Faderport, the hardware wizard ran and failed.

I uninstalled the ?USB Device in the Device Manager

I reran SFC /Scannow - same result, same actions on my part although just to get back to ground zero, before running SFC the 3rd time, I deleted the driver files that I had extracted when I first noticed them missing after observing another machine. That is I deleted ksproxy.ax and ksuser.dll since they were missing from my system before.

I then reran SFC /Scannow (to get to 3 times) rebooted and again the hardware wizard popped up and failed when I plugged in the faderport.

Then just to cover the bases, I ran SFC /scanonce and still no love.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried downloading the drivers HERE from the manufacturer and installing them?
Also in most uSB devices it is always better to install the drivers without the device connected. Then reboot and connect the device once the system is back in windows.
This normally will install the device correctly.

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Very logical and I appreciate the effort that you made looking for those drivers.

It's a funny thing about those drivers.

They are actually a firmware update for the device. The faderport is fully recognized by my system in the "update mode" which is invoked by holding down a certain key combination while plugging in the device. But after the firmware update, unplugging the USB cable and replugging it in calls the hardware wizard which fails to recognize it.

A properly functioning windows system will recognize the faderport and install native windows drivers without the use of any external 3rd party or manufacturer driver.

I can plug the faderport into my wife's laptop without installing any drivers, and it is recognized and installed.

I can plug it into windows xp running in a virtual box on my desktop system (the one I need it on) and it installs without the need for 3rd party or manufactureres drivers.

Nope, it is something with my Windows XP installation that is preventing the native drivers from loading.

As I may have said in this thread, I inspected the drivers that were in use by my wife's laptop and by the virtual box machine. they are as follows...

The device, on a properly operating system, shows up in the Device Manager under the Sound, video and game controllers section as a USB Audio Device with the following drivers.

All under the system32 folder:
/drivers/drmk.sys
/drivers/ks.sys
/drivers/portcls.sys
/drivers/stream.sys
/drivers/USBAUDIO.sys
ksproxy.ax
ksuser.dll
wdmaud.drv

Nevermind about my previous note about missing ksproxy.ax an ksuser.dll, I was looking in the /drivers/ folder and they are in the system32 folder

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Nevermind about my previous note about missing ksproxy.ax an ksuser.dll, I was looking in the /drivers/ folder and they are in the system32 folder

If you have a XP installation disk you may try a SFC which would replace or repair any file that is bad.
That may put the drivers exactly where they need to be and be a good working version.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I slipped streamed my windows xp installation disk with SP3 and put all the files in a /I386 folder on my C drive.

When I ran SFC, it did not ask for the CD. I believe that I ran SFC some time ago and pointed it to that i386 folder in the past.

Is there some reason I should think about running SFC for a 5th time?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope and that would suggest a repair installation to attempt to resolve the issue. This will keep your data and programs safe while redoing any OS issues.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Advertisements

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for confirming that I have exhausted the other possibilities before doing the repair install.

Now, I'm about 20 mins into the repair install and for the last 15 mins or so, the screen says "Please wait while Setup initializes your Windows XP confiuration."

and at the bottom is says "Saving configuration..." but there is no drive light activity.

I'm getting nervous. Does it normally take this long? I mean stay on this one screen for so long??

EDIT:::

Now it says, "Setup cannot set the required Widnows XP configuration information.
This indicates an internal Setup error.

Contact your system administrator"

F3 =Quit

Yikes!!

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Now when I reboot, it looks like it is installing windows, but then it says.."Failed to load the Product Catalog - this is a fatal error"

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
So if I go to recovery console, I can see all my files there etc.

What would you do if you were in this situation right now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow this is a genuine XP installation disk right?
Yu can attempt to do the repair again by following the instructions and starting all over.

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It's a slipstreamed disk made from a genuine windows XP installation disk and service pack 3.

I have done an installation of windows using this.

If I start completely over booting from the CD, it does not see an installation to repair.

If I boot from the HD, I get the booting up screen, and then either just black, or it starts to install and fails.

Should I let it do a fresh install and then try to restore from my backup? I have never tried to restore froma backup before.