Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing native windows drivers for midi device

• Please log in to reply

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 426

The service has not been started."

Does this mean that it doesn't see an installation so it will not upgrade?

Wsit, this might be because I removed a 2nd hard drive before one of the reboots, trying to be cautious. But that probably changed the cd drive letter

Edited by dbtrade, 21 April 2012 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Should I let it do a fresh install and then try to restore from my backup? I have never tried to restore froma backup before.

Unless there are programs you need you could possibly get the data off the hd now using a linux live cd..
Then do a fresh install, reinstall your programs and then copy the data back to it's appropriate folder.

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
What about the windows backup, which I used to back up the system. Can't I restore from that??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you should be able to.

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sheesh....well, popping that second drive in and out, now the system won't post!! Is mercury retrograde or something? All because I couldn't get a faderport to work.

Well thanks for your advice. I got some PC repair work to do.

db

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a loose connection or is it not even powering up?

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
All the fans go on, but nothing comes on screen. There is no internal speaker, so I can't hear if there are any beeps. So either, as you said, loose connection to power supply..bad video card, or bad motherboard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Maybe check to make sure that both power connections from the PSU are connected to the motherboard. There should be a 20+4 and a 4 pin connections.

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I got a new PSU from Corsair a little while ago, and I had some post issues at first back then. You had to break off some of the connections to fit an old MB like mine. I figured the connectors just had to get worked in, because after I messed with it, it came on and it has been working fine for about 6 months.

I put in the old PSU just now, and it posts fine <sigh> now to reconnect everything and get back to messing with windows. I'll s/w Corsair on Monday.

Edited by dbtrade, 21 April 2012 - 10:14 PM.

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry, I didn't realize "h e double hockey sticks" would be offensive.

My apologies.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 25 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

dbtrade

dbtrade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There are two answers as to how things turned out.

I had enough room left on that hard drive to, using GParted, shrink the old partition, move it to the back of the drive, mark it as not bootable, create a new partition in front of it. And do a fresh install there. That way, I have access to the old stuff while having a new installation as well. Note: if you try this, you must use the advanced commaneds in GParted to run fdisk and then xpert mode to fix the partition entry order.

As far as the original problem that got me attempting a repair install, there is a file called USB.inf that went missing from my system. System file checker does not check for this file. Apparently, all it does is when an unknown USB device is plugged in, the system checks it's signature with a table in this USB.inf file, which tells the system which usb drivers to run with. I went ahead and found this out because after my new install. the hardware in question worked fine, but then a few days later, it would not work if I plugged it into a different USB port. Something was overwriting the file. I found the solution to the problem because it is a sometimes problem with some USB printers.

I got the file off the internet, and the device installs to all the ports just fine.

But really, really not worth it. I highly recommend NOT doing a repair install unless you have exhausted all other possibilities

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for letting us know how the issue was finally resolved. I'm sure it will help someone else later with the same issue. :thumbsup: