Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Windows XP Home to Pro

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I currently have a Gateway M675 with XP Professional. I would like to buy an additional computer similar to this one but it has XP Pro Home.

I own a copy of XP Pro that was installed on a computer but the hard drive went bad and I no longer have access to the computer.

What is the best way to go about upgrading from Home to Pro?

Edited by joseph456, 20 April 2012 - 07:35 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Your title says Home to Pro but your description is saying Pro to Pro - can you clarify please?

Cheers

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Clarified original message. Want to know how to upgrade Home to Pro.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's not hard at all. When it's up and running, put the XP Pro disc in and it will run you through it.

Why bother though - is there a specific reason you need XP Pro? Most people don't.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thought I needed it to remote access to office computer that has Win XP Pro. Reason I wanted to obtain computer with XP Pro because I am still using Quicken 98 which works fine on XP Pro and not so sure how it works with Win XP 7 or 8

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You may have to activate the XP Pro installation by phone but that shouldn't be a problem.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you are just logging into another computer using Remote Desktop then XP Home will work fine. Same deal with Quicken 98, it should install just the same on XP Home as XP Pro.

I don't think you would need to even bother upgrading it.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Troy - Thanks for your help and prompt response.

Edited by joseph456, 23 April 2012 - 06:44 AM.