Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee Internet Security won't activate or uninstall

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I've just bought a brand new Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home premium (64 bitf) installed.

As is the whim of pc manufacturers, there is an internet security suite already installed - in this case McAfee.

Previous Toshiba laptops came with Norton, never a problem to uninstall.

McAfee is a didn't matter - the product repeatedly fails to activate even when I am connected to the internet.

I've googled my problem, and one site says it's necessary to activate the product before attempting to remove it.

My experience suggests this may be the case - since attempting to remove it through the proper process doesn't work. I tried restarting in safe mode to see if I could then remove it - but no luck. I just get a dialog box come up, with nothing in it!

Does anyone have similar experience of removing McAfee from a recently purchased pc? Should I report the issue to consumer groups (eg Which)? It seems unreasonable or either Toshiba or McAfee (or both) to be distributing PCs with these kind of techie problems right out of the box.

Any help gratefully received.

Dave B - linuxwannabee

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi linuxwannabee!

I would use the Uninstall Utility from McAfee, which you can find HERE

***Just looked through that page completely, and it shows the option to download the removal tool, but it looks like it is an option under the 'Windows XP' section, but actually should be downloaded by everyone, not just Windows XP users. The line I am referring to is: "2. Download and run MCPR.exe:" (right under step 'e' for Windows XP) with a link to download it below that.

Kinda expected that a crappy product would mess up the uninstall utility page so that people try to actually use the crappy product instead of removing it and getting one that actually works. :)

Edited by Fenor, 20 April 2012 - 05:47 AM.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Kinda expected that a crappy product would mess up the uninstall utility page so that people try to actually use the crappy product instead of removing it and getting one that actually works. :)

Hi Fenor

thanks for the speedy response - I've ran the program and McAfee has been blasted into deep space.

Using the product wasn't an option for me because the product refused even to be activated. Anyway, I'm now free to exercise my rights as a consumer and chose which ever security programs I want!

Thanks again for the useful download link. An alternative direct download link can be found below:

http://download.mcaf...atches/MCPR.exe

Hope others may find that useful also.

Regards - Linuxwannabee

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad you were able to get it completely wiped clean from your system! :thumbsup: